Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Rumors, Facts and Dates
Specs & Features
Overview first press reviews
- Cnet: According to Dan Ackerman from Cnet, the Surface Pro 4 benefits from a larger display with a higher resolution compared to the predecessor. The thinner chassis improves the mobility. The input pen is easier to handle, just like the keyboard. Intel's current Skylake processors ensure a higher performance, but the battery runtime is not sufficient for a whole business day. And you have to buy the Type Cover extra. All in all, the Surface Pro 4 is currently the best Windows tablet in its class.
- Engadget: Devindra Hardawar from Engadget thinks that the Surface Pro 4 works well as a laptop and tablet. The new Type Cover and the new Surface Pen are "massive improvements". The Surface Pro 4 is also thin and light. Just like Dan Ackerman, Hardawar criticizes the average battery runtimes and the fact that the Type Cover costs another $130.
- Wired.com: Christopher Null from Wired.com praises the good performance of the Surface Pro 4. The device even performs really well in the graphics benchmarks. The stereo speakers convince with a good sound quality. The screen is very bright and has rich colors. However, the video playback runtime of less than six hours could be better. You just get one USB 3.0, one Mini-DisplayPort and one microSD slot. Overall, the Surface Pro 4 is a "thoughtful and useful" upgrade over the predecessor.
- Anandtech: Brett House from Anandtech is surprised by the performance of the Surface Pro 4 – it is up to 50 percent faster than the Surface Pro 3 (see review). And there are no issues with overheating or throttling this time. Typing on the new Type Cover is much better compared to the previous Surface keyboard. The trackpad is also bigger and easier to use. There is unfortunately no USB-C. The Surface Pro 4 is pretty expensive, but the price is reasonable for a premium product.
- The Verge: Dan Seifert from The Verge is impressed by the high performance of the Surface Pro 4. The device is light and the typing experience is better than before. However: The use on the lap is still inconvenient compared to a notebook. The Surface Pro 4 is also tricky to use as a tablet; you usually use it in the Desktop mode. The Surface Pro 4 is also expensive and Windows 10 still has some bugs. It ultimately comes down to the decision if you really need such a device or if you are better off with a standard notebook or ultrabook.
Official technical specifications
- Software: Windows 10 Pro, Office 30-day trial
- Security: TPM chip for business security
- Processor: 6th generation Intel® Core M3, i5 or i7 processor
- Memory: 4 GB, 8 GB or 16 GB RAM
- Case: Magnesium, Color: Silver
- Buttons: Volume, Power
- Wireless connections: 802.11 ac Wi-Fi; IEEE; compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Dimensions: 292.10 mm x 201.42 mm x 8.45 mm
- Ports: Full-size USB 3.0, microSD™-card reader, headset port, Mini-DisplayPort, Cover-port, SurfaceConnect
- Graphics: M3: Intel® HD Graphics 515, i5: Intel® HD Graphics 520, i7: Intel® Iris™ Graphics
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope
- Display: 12.3-inch PixelTouch display, resolution: 2736x1824 (267 PPI), screen ratio: 3:2, touch inputs: 10-point multi-touch
- Cameras, Video, Audio:, 5.0 MP HD-front camera, rear 8.0 MP autofocus camera, 1080p HD video recordings, stereo microphone, stereo speakers with Dolby sound
- Battery runtime: up to 9 hours video playback
- Storage: SSD (Solid State Drive) options: 128 GB, 256 GB or 512 GB
- Weight: M3: 766 grams, i5: 786 grams, 7: 786 grams
Source: German Microsoft product website
Rumors for comparison
- 12-inch and 14-inch: According to rumors, there will be two models of the Surface Pro 4. Both, the 12-inch tablet and the model with a display size of 14-inches, are supposed to have a resolution of 2160x1440 pixels. This is the same resolution as the predecessor and means an aspect ratio of 3:2.
- Almost frameless: According to the Tech magazine W4pHub, the Surface Pro 4 will have a very thin display frame. It can be compared to the Dell XPS 13 in this respect.
- Intel Core M: The Apple MacBook 12 (see review) led the way. Allegedly, Microsoft also wants to use Intel Core M chips in the Surface Pro 4. We are satisfied with the system performance of the MacBook 12 with this chip for everyday tasks. However, the 3D performance could be better. This is not too important for tablets. Currently, Microsoft is looking for employees for the development of a mobile device with ARM processor and LTE modem. However, we do not expect that it concerns the Surface 4. Newer rumors mention a powerful Broadwell chip for the Surface Pro 4, which is more likely than ARM. The Surface is supposed to be cooled via small holes in the case. So, this device might have a fanless design.
- Skylake: According to The Verge editor Tom Warren, the Surface Pro 4 will be launched with mobile Intel Core processors from the new Skylake generation (as of 08/18). Tom Warren is known as a reliable source with connections to Windows insiders.
- 8 GB or 16 GB RAM: If the rumors are true, the RAM capacity of the new Surface Pro cannot be criticized. The optional 16 GB is even overkill for standard users. Probably the processor will be capable of video editing to some extent. If so, the 16 GB model might be useful for some users. However, an Intel Core M would not be the first choice for this purpose. Will a Broadwell processor be used after all? Since there is no official information yet, you can only speculate about this aspect.
- 1 TB SSHD: A big SSHD with a capacity of 1 TB should be optionally available. You can expect that there will also be other storage options.
- Surface Pro 4 design: The design of the Surface Pro 4 is supposed to be based on the predecessor's. Probably it might be slightly thinner and lighter.
- Accessories: There is already one official statement from Microsoft about the Surface Pro 4: The accessories of the Surface Pro 3 (see review) will be compatible with the "next generation" of the Surface Pro series. In case a 14-inch model will be actually available, the question arises whether it is also meant for that. Brian Hall, the Surface head of Microsoft, explicitly mentioned the Type Cover, the docking station, the Ethernet adapter and even the power cable. It is very likely that the Surface Pen will also be compatible. In addition, you can expect an improved Pen, since Microsoft bought the manufacturer of the Surface Pen, N-Trig.
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Especially English native speakers welcome!
News and Editorial Editor - Details here
Release & Price
October 6th: The Surface Pro 4 was announced in New York on October 6th.
November 12th: The Surface Pro 4 will be available in Germany from November 12th.
- Surface Pro 4 (Core M) with 4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage: 999 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i5) with 4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage: 1099 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i5) with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage: 1449 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i5) with 16 GB RAM, 256 GB storage: 1649 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i5) with 8 GB RAM, 512 GB storage: 1859 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i5) with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB storage: 2099 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i7) with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage: 1799 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i7) with 16 GB RAM, 256 GB storage: 1999 Euros
- Surface Pro 4 (Core i7) with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB storage: 2449 Euros
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros
Surface Pro 4
Voyo announces Surface-like Vbook i5 tablet
Microsoft Surface Pro with LTE Advanced now available for everyone
Microsoft's Surface Phone to turn into mini laptop via "determinative hinge" patent
Microsoft Surface Book 2: Bigger 15-inch model is now available in more markets
Ring in the spirit of the holidays with Microsoft's new Paint 3D ad
Eve V flash sale going on now
The 10 Best Ultraportables for Late 2017
Microsoft shuts down talk of the Surface line's impending demise
Online retailer starts pre-orders for the Surface Pro 2017 LTE edition before it is officially annouced
IFA 2017 | Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will officially roll out starting October 17 along with a slew of Windows Mixed Reality headsets
Microsoft defends Surface family after Consumer Reports labels Surface products "unreliable"
UPDATE | Newest driver update makes the Surface Pro 4 blind
Lenovo's low-cost Windows 10 S convertible notebooks available now
United States airport security could get even slower
UPDATE: Surface Pro 4 firmware update brings a Power-Mode slider
Opinion: It's time we talked about throttling in reviews
Enhanced DPI scaling coming to Windows 10 in the Fall Creators Update
Microsoft Surface Pro series facing heavy throttling issues
Surface Pro users complain of random shut-offs
Pictures of the cancelled Surface Mini reveal why it didn't hold promise
Today marks the global launch of the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop
Just call it the Surface Pro: Microsoft unveils Surface Pro update in Shanghai
Opinion: With the Surface Laptop, Microsoft joins Apple to push a disturbing trend
Editor's Choice: Our Editors' Current and Favorite Notebooks
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 might be less of an upgrade than expected
Microsoft Surface ranked best overall tablet by J.D. Power
Asus launches the Transformer Pro T304 as a Surface Pro competitor
Microsoft introduces "Mac to Surface" data migration utility
Microsoft's new Surface Book reportedly enters production, might be announced soon
Microsoft celebrates Pi Day by slashing prices on select laptops and desktops
Cube's upcoming i35 notebook sports a 3000 x 2000 resolution screen
Microsoft: The Surface Pro 5 might be released in the first quarter of 2017
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 rumors: Thunderbolt 3, Kaby Lake and more
Teclast unveils Kaby Lake powered X5 Pro
Microsoft no longer restocking Surface 3 tablets
Lenovo Miix 720 convertible leaked: Kaby Lake CPUs, QHD+ Display & Thunderbolt 3
Logitech SmartDock and Surface Pro 4 for Skype Business Meetings
Surface Book refresh and AiOs purportedly coming H1 2017
More Kaby Lake rumors arise for Surface Book successor
Microsoft allegedly planning a Surface All-in-One
Microsoft to begin phasing out the Surface 3 tablet
Microsoft offering Surface Membership subscriptions for U.S. businesses
Face Off: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Core i7 vs. Surface Pro 4 Core i5 vs. Surface Pro 4 Core m3
Intel Core i7-6650U | Intel Iris Graphics 540 | 12.3" | 1.1 kg
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Core i5, 128 GB) Tablet Review
Intel Core i5-6300U | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 12.3" | 1.1 kg
HP Elite x2 to face off against the Surface Pro 4 early next year
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Core m3) Tablet Review
Intel Core m3-6Y30 | Intel HD Graphics 515 | 12.3" | 1.1 kg
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Core m3) First Impressions
Intel Core i5-6300U | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 12.3" | 1.1 kg