Apple iPhone 6s - Rumors, Facts and Dates
Specs & Features
- 4.7-inch display with 1080p (iPhone 6s) and 5.5-inch with 2K touchscreen: According to reports from Chinese media, the new iPhones will be launched with the same display sizes that we know from the current generation, but there will be a resolution upgrade. Similar to previous updates to the version -s you can expect the same chassis/design.
- Apple A9 SoC: The central processing unit is supposed to be Apple's successor to the Apple A8, which is used in the current iPhones. Supposedly, it is a tri core chip clocked at 1.5 GHz. Alike the chip used in the iWatch, it is supposed to feature the "System in Package" (SiP) structure. Thus, the chip will be more efficient and 15 percent smaller than the Apple A8.
- Benchmark results: According to preliminary results from Geekbench, the iPhone 6s achieves 1811 points in the single core test and 4577 points in the multi core test. Therewith, it outperforms the Galaxy S6 Edge (1492 points) in the single core test. However, the Samsung performs better in the multi core test, since its Exynos 7420 chip achieves 5077 points in this category.
- 2 GB LPDDR4 RAM: Market analysts expect a memory increase to 2 GB (1 GB in the current models). It is supposed to be LPDDR4 RAM, which is faster and more frugal compared to conventional LPDDR3 modules. Other speculations, however, do not consider LPDDR4 RAM because of higher costs and the limited availability. A Geekbench listing confirms the assumption of 2 GB RAM.
- iSight camera with 12 megapixels: The main camera of the new iPhone is supposed to have an increased resolution from 8 MP in the current devices (3264x2448 pixels) to 12 MP.
- 5 MP front cam: According to hints in the code of iOS 9, Apple will support a 1080p FaceTime camera in the future. The iOS 9 Beta also indicates a 240 fps mode (Slow Motion), panoramas as well as a flash for the selfie camera. Leaked pictures of the alleged front panel on the other hand show that there is no opening for an LED flash.
- ForceTouch: The technology that Apple uses for the current MacBook notebooks is supposed to be available in the new iPhone 6s as well. The technology can tell the difference between taps on the display and forceful clicks and then trigger different actions.
- LTE-Advanced Cat. 6 Modem: The new LTE modem from Qualcomm is supposed to be twice as fast compared to the iPhone 6 at theoretical download rates of up to 300 Mbps. It is also supposed to save battery power.
- New color "rose gold": In addition to the three available colors silver, gold and space gray, there could soon be another version according to rumors.
- 32, 64, 128 GB: Sources inside the Taiwanese Apple manufacturer Foxconn are supposed to have said that Apple will waive its 16 GB entry-level version of its iPhone in the future . The smallest version will instead have 32 GB storage, so the iPhone 6s would be available with 32, 64 or 128 GB internal storage, which, as usual, should not be expandable.
- 16, 64, 128 GB: According to alleged construction plans from China, the entry-level model might features 16 GB instead of 32 GB after all.
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Especially English native speakers welcome!
News and Editorial Editor - Details here
Release & Price
- September 9th: According to BuzzFeed, Apple will announce the iPhone 6s on September 9th. Apple will supposedly show the new iPads as well.
- September 2015: The upcoming iPhone 6s is certainly going to be shipped with Apple's new iOS 9, so analysts don't expect a launch before September 2015.
- September 18th: According to sources around the manufacturer Foxconn, the iPhone 6s will be launched on September 18th.
- Price: starting at €699 (~$780, 6s) and €799 (~$892, 6s Plus), respectively? The starting prices of new iPhones usually corresponded with their predecessors in the past. Apple will most likely keep this pricing for the upcoming iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.
There are the first pictures from the chassis of the iPhone 6s. The design is similar to the Apple iPhone 6 (here in review) and iPhone 6 Plus (here in review). There are also some first fake pictures from a pink iPhone 6s from Chinese social networks. None of the pictures are official – but the pictures from the case are probably real.
The iPhone 11 Pro requests user location even when app and service permissions are disabled
Google introduces a new setting for more private, direct-to-contact photo sharing
The Runn is a new sensor that beams treadmill performance to a smartphone
Next Apple iPhones to enter mass production in Q1 2020: 6 GB of RAM and AirPods in the box?
More and more people are using ad-based streaming services
Huami asserts that its Amazfit GTS smartwatch had an outstanding Black Friday
DxOMark picks its best smartphone cameras of 2019 sorted by categories, and the Mi Note 10 Pro dominates
The Huawei Watch GT 2 will see an Indian launch in December 2019
Deal | The Lepow FHD USB type C portable monitor is going on a 30% off sale
Twitter walks back its plan to cull inactive accounts
DxOMark | The Huawei Mate 20 X has better audio than the iPhone 11 Pro Max
Apple to change in-house testing process for iOS 14 development
New battery cases for iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro feature a dedicated camera button
The Dripp Dropps are the "most affordable" truly wireless earphones with Qualcomm tech on Indiegogo
Sony releases an API for its robot dog, aibo
Former Apple executives found NUVIA Inc with hopes to take on Intel and AMD
DJI announces Remote ID: an app to find out about any drone overhead
Google is reportedly coming for the Apple Card with new financial-institution partnerships
Google Stadia app comes to iOS, but it is not for playing games
The Amazfit Stratos3 is a new sports smartwatch coming to Europe soon
The Samsung Galaxy S10 5G adds 3D face-unlocking to its security options
Apple releases iOS 13.2.2 to fix various bugs
Six more titles come to Apple Arcade
Niantic is addressing its current Pokéstop deficiency in Pokémon GO
Google Cardboard open-sourced as a lifeline for mobile VR
Fetching iPhone 12 concept renders highlight Apple's design strengths and weaknesses
Pokemon GO to get live AR multiplayer feature, called Buddy Adventure
Apple seeds first developer beta of iOS 13.3
House of Marley updates its Exodus headphones with ANC
A new leak points to an impending successor for the low-cost Nokia 2.2
Aukey gets up to date with the GaN- and graphene-enhanced Omni-Power fast-charger range
New research asserts many adults want smart assistants to help look after their health
The Google Assistant will start integrating SiriusXM soon
Mario Kart Tour finishes first month with 123.9 million downloads
The US' "big 4" carriers announce a joint initiative to finally get RCS on more phones
iPhone SE 2 could be launched by Apple in March 2020 and will sell in the millions
UPDATE: DO NOT INSTALL | iOS 13.2 released, bringing Deep Fusion, new emoji, and more
AirPods Pro: The latest rumors point to new colors and water resistance
ELECJET claims that its new graphene-enhanced power bank can charge to full capacity in just 19 minutes
Halloween is one of the scariest times for your phone, new research finds
Trojan malware found in 17 apps on Apple App Store
TSMC already sampling Apple's 5 nm A14 Bionic SoCs for 2020 iPhones
iOS 13.1.3 update damaging some iPhone 11 handsets
Apple of my eye: Apple to release AR headset in 2020
Half of all iPhones upgraded to iOS 13 in first 26 days
Apple Arcade adds 5 more games to iOS, now boasts 80 titles
Apple may be rushing to develop its own 5G modem by 2022
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max Smartphone Review: A leap forwards or more of the same?
Update: Live Review finished.
Apple A13 Bionic | Apple A13 Bionic GPU | 6.5" | 226 g
Call of Duty Mobile hits 100 million downloads in its first week, shattering record
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros