Apple iPhone 6s - Rumors, Facts and Dates
Specs & Features
- 4.7-inch display with 1080p (iPhone 6s) and 5.5-inch with 2K touchscreen: According to reports from Chinese media, the new iPhones will be launched with the same display sizes that we know from the current generation, but there will be a resolution upgrade. Similar to previous updates to the version -s you can expect the same chassis/design.
- Apple A9 SoC: The central processing unit is supposed to be Apple's successor to the Apple A8, which is used in the current iPhones. Supposedly, it is a tri core chip clocked at 1.5 GHz. Alike the chip used in the iWatch, it is supposed to feature the "System in Package" (SiP) structure. Thus, the chip will be more efficient and 15 percent smaller than the Apple A8.
- Benchmark results: According to preliminary results from Geekbench, the iPhone 6s achieves 1811 points in the single core test and 4577 points in the multi core test. Therewith, it outperforms the Galaxy S6 Edge (1492 points) in the single core test. However, the Samsung performs better in the multi core test, since its Exynos 7420 chip achieves 5077 points in this category.
- 2 GB LPDDR4 RAM: Market analysts expect a memory increase to 2 GB (1 GB in the current models). It is supposed to be LPDDR4 RAM, which is faster and more frugal compared to conventional LPDDR3 modules. Other speculations, however, do not consider LPDDR4 RAM because of higher costs and the limited availability. A Geekbench listing confirms the assumption of 2 GB RAM.
- iSight camera with 12 megapixels: The main camera of the new iPhone is supposed to have an increased resolution from 8 MP in the current devices (3264x2448 pixels) to 12 MP.
- 5 MP front cam: According to hints in the code of iOS 9, Apple will support a 1080p FaceTime camera in the future. The iOS 9 Beta also indicates a 240 fps mode (Slow Motion), panoramas as well as a flash for the selfie camera. Leaked pictures of the alleged front panel on the other hand show that there is no opening for an LED flash.
- ForceTouch: The technology that Apple uses for the current MacBook notebooks is supposed to be available in the new iPhone 6s as well. The technology can tell the difference between taps on the display and forceful clicks and then trigger different actions.
- LTE-Advanced Cat. 6 Modem: The new LTE modem from Qualcomm is supposed to be twice as fast compared to the iPhone 6 at theoretical download rates of up to 300 Mbps. It is also supposed to save battery power.
- New color "rose gold": In addition to the three available colors silver, gold and space gray, there could soon be another version according to rumors.
- 32, 64, 128 GB: Sources inside the Taiwanese Apple manufacturer Foxconn are supposed to have said that Apple will waive its 16 GB entry-level version of its iPhone in the future . The smallest version will instead have 32 GB storage, so the iPhone 6s would be available with 32, 64 or 128 GB internal storage, which, as usual, should not be expandable.
- 16, 64, 128 GB: According to alleged construction plans from China, the entry-level model might features 16 GB instead of 32 GB after all.
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Especially English native speakers welcome!
News and Editorial Editor - Details here
Release & Price
- September 9th: According to BuzzFeed, Apple will announce the iPhone 6s on September 9th. Apple will supposedly show the new iPads as well.
- September 2015: The upcoming iPhone 6s is certainly going to be shipped with Apple's new iOS 9, so analysts don't expect a launch before September 2015.
- September 18th: According to sources around the manufacturer Foxconn, the iPhone 6s will be launched on September 18th.
- Price: starting at €699 (~$780, 6s) and €799 (~$892, 6s Plus), respectively? The starting prices of new iPhones usually corresponded with their predecessors in the past. Apple will most likely keep this pricing for the upcoming iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.
There are the first pictures from the chassis of the iPhone 6s. The design is similar to the Apple iPhone 6 (here in review) and iPhone 6 Plus (here in review). There are also some first fake pictures from a pink iPhone 6s from Chinese social networks. None of the pictures are official – but the pictures from the case are probably real.
Apple of my eye: Apple to release AR headset in 2020
Half of all iPhones upgraded to iOS 13 in first 26 days
Apple Arcade adds 5 more games to iOS, now boasts 80 titles
Apple may be rushing to develop its own 5G modem by 2022
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max Smartphone Review: A leap forwards or more of the same?
Update: Live Review finished.
Apple A13 Bionic | Apple A13 Bionic GPU | 6.5" | 226 g
Call of Duty Mobile hits 100 million downloads in its first week, shattering record
Apple is now selling Microsoft's Xbox Wireless Controller
The computational photography market may be worth nearly US$30 billion by 2024
Some iPhone 6s or 6s Plus units may fail to power on, but Apple is fixing it
Xiaomi may add NFC to the international-variant Mi Band 5
The iPhone 11 may prove more popular than its Pro or Pro Max siblings already
The cut-price iPhone SE2 will arrive in 2020: Ming-Chi Kuo
Apple iPhone 11 Smartphone Review: More than just an affordable Apple smartphone
Update: Live Review completed.
Apple A13 Bionic | Apple A13 Bionic GPU | 6.1" | 194 g
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Smartphone Review: Triple rear-facing cameras and more power than you could shake a stick at
Update: Live Review finished.
Apple A13 Bionic | Apple A13 Bionic GPU | 5.8" | 188 g
PUBG Mobile faces stiff competition as Activision's Call of Duty: Mobile launches in full
New exploit, dubbed checkm8, might lead to permanent jailbreak for multiple iPhone models
First plausible 2020 iPhone render based on rumored protoype hits the mark
Mario Kart Tour launches, hits top spot in iOS App Store
Canon tackles smartphones that encroach on photography with the new EOS M200
Apple Music upgrades to a dark theme and Chromecast support
Google plans to make the Assistant's attention more selective in the future
Apple's social media stock may be down in the wake of the new iPhones
Need money for an old phone? Local stores and kiosks are the safest bet, but not necessarily the most profitable
Apparently, portrait shots on the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro phones are as bad as ever
Apple iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Max: A summary of initial reviews
If you hate the square camera design for the Apple iPhone 11 then you're going to loathe the next-gen iPad Pro
Xcode finding quashes iPhone RAM rumors, confirms all 2019 models have 4 GB
The Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max looks set to be a battery life champ
JAM Audio claims that its new true wireless earbuds can last over 54 hours per charge
AnTuTu appears to confirm 4GB of RAM for all 3 new iPhones
A new power socket with USB type C Power Delivery ports has modern devices in mind
Trypophobia rears its unholy head once more thanks to the Apple iPhone 11 Pro and its rear triple camera system
iPhone 11 Pro allegedly pops up on Geekbench, A13 Bionic destroys Android-based SoCs
The Apple iPhone family welcomes the new additions of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
Apple's TV+ and Arcade titles, formats and pricing structures are outlined in full
Apple develops a proprietary short-range communication system for the iPhones 11 Pro
Apple channels Samsung with its new iPhone 11 trade-in program
A closer look at the A13 Bionic SoC powering Apple's new iPhone 11 models
Opinion: Sorry Apple, your 'new' products are not 'all-new'
AirPower resurrected and full iPhone 11 details revealed: names, models, prices, and release dates
The iPhone 11 series will get Wi-Fi 6, according to the latest leak
Fitbit Versa 2 launched with Alexa, new premium health subscription service
Apple issues invites for a September 10 iPhone event
Gartner: Huawei, Samsung up in Q2 smartphone sales, Apple down and under threat from Xiaomi
The new truly-wireless earbuds from House of Marley are made from 100% recycled materials
Bloomberg leaks fresh list of iPhone 11 features
Olixar leaks iPhone 11 cases with stylus cutouts
Apple accidentally rolls back security patch in iOS 12.4 update, making jailbreaking possible
Apple Watch screens may step up to micro-LED, but not until 2020
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros