Apple iPhone 6s - Rumors, Facts and Dates
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team!
German-English-Translator - Details here
Specs & Features
- 4.7-inch display with 1080p (iPhone 6s) and 5.5-inch with 2K touchscreen: According to reports from Chinese media, the new iPhones will be launched with the same display sizes that we know from the current generation, but there will be a resolution upgrade. Similar to previous updates to the version -s you can expect the same chassis/design.
- Apple A9 SoC: The central processing unit is supposed to be Apple's successor to the Apple A8, which is used in the current iPhones. Supposedly, it is a tri core chip clocked at 1.5 GHz. Alike the chip used in the iWatch, it is supposed to feature the "System in Package" (SiP) structure. Thus, the chip will be more efficient and 15 percent smaller than the Apple A8.
- Benchmark results: According to preliminary results from Geekbench, the iPhone 6s achieves 1811 points in the single core test and 4577 points in the multi core test. Therewith, it outperforms the Galaxy S6 Edge (1492 points) in the single core test. However, the Samsung performs better in the multi core test, since its Exynos 7420 chip achieves 5077 points in this category.
- 2 GB LPDDR4 RAM: Market analysts expect a memory increase to 2 GB (1 GB in the current models). It is supposed to be LPDDR4 RAM, which is faster and more frugal compared to conventional LPDDR3 modules. Other speculations, however, do not consider LPDDR4 RAM because of higher costs and the limited availability. A Geekbench listing confirms the assumption of 2 GB RAM.
- iSight camera with 12 megapixels: The main camera of the new iPhone is supposed to have an increased resolution from 8 MP in the current devices (3264x2448 pixels) to 12 MP.
- 5 MP front cam: According to hints in the code of iOS 9, Apple will support a 1080p FaceTime camera in the future. The iOS 9 Beta also indicates a 240 fps mode (Slow Motion), panoramas as well as a flash for the selfie camera. Leaked pictures of the alleged front panel on the other hand show that there is no opening for an LED flash.
- ForceTouch: The technology that Apple uses for the current MacBook notebooks is supposed to be available in the new iPhone 6s as well. The technology can tell the difference between taps on the display and forceful clicks and then trigger different actions.
- LTE-Advanced Cat. 6 Modem: The new LTE modem from Qualcomm is supposed to be twice as fast compared to the iPhone 6 at theoretical download rates of up to 300 Mbps. It is also supposed to save battery power.
- New color "rose gold": In addition to the three available colors silver, gold and space gray, there could soon be another version according to rumors.
- 32, 64, 128 GB: Sources inside the Taiwanese Apple manufacturer Foxconn are supposed to have said that Apple will waive its 16 GB entry-level version of its iPhone in the future . The smallest version will instead have 32 GB storage, so the iPhone 6s would be available with 32, 64 or 128 GB internal storage, which, as usual, should not be expandable.
- 16, 64, 128 GB: According to alleged construction plans from China, the entry-level model might features 16 GB instead of 32 GB after all.
Release & Price
- September 9th: According to BuzzFeed, Apple will announce the iPhone 6s on September 9th. Apple will supposedly show the new iPads as well.
- September 2015: The upcoming iPhone 6s is certainly going to be shipped with Apple's new iOS 9, so analysts don't expect a launch before September 2015.
- September 18th: According to sources around the manufacturer Foxconn, the iPhone 6s will be launched on September 18th.
- Price: starting at €699 (~$780, 6s) and €799 (~$892, 6s Plus), respectively? The starting prices of new iPhones usually corresponded with their predecessors in the past. Apple will most likely keep this pricing for the upcoming iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.
There are the first pictures from the chassis of the iPhone 6s. The design is similar to the Apple iPhone 6 (here in review) and iPhone 6 Plus (here in review). There are also some first fake pictures from a pink iPhone 6s from Chinese social networks. None of the pictures are official – but the pictures from the case are probably real.
The world's thinnest wireless charging pad is now up for crowdfunding
Ming-Chi Kuo spills the beans on Apple's 2019 product plans
Fresh Apple foldable smartphone patents show it is working hard on the idea too
iPhones XS and XS Max rumored to be released in new color for the Chinese market
Apple ready to launch Netflix competitor
Apple will cut costs by re-using an old SoC in the new iPad Mini: new rumor
Apple finally fixes eavesdropping Group FaceTime bug via iOS 12.1.4
Apple tells developers to either get transparent about screen-recording in their apps or get out of the App Store
VLC 4.0 will support uninterrupible music playback and Apple AirPlay, but also drop support for multiple older platforms
Samsung Galaxy S10+ with Exynos 9820 beats out Snapdragon 855 and Kirin 980 on Geekbench but trails behind Apple's A12 Bionic
Anker has launched its first MFi-certified USB type C cable for iPhones
The mobile wallet market could be worth nearly US$10 trillion in 7 years
A new leak supports the possibility of a next-gen iPhone SE
Apple gets sued over FaceTime critical flaw
iPhone revenue tanked 15% last quarter, plans to cut prices in response
Taiwanese manufacturers are expecting an increase in OLED production and demand
Fortnite now supports Bluetooth controllers on Android and iOS
Update | Group FaceGate: New iOS bug grants access to iPhone mic audio without its owner's knowledge
iOS 12.1.3 may break WiFi in addition to cellular connectivity
Things may get better for Apple with its 2nd-quarter iPhone sales: Ming-Chi Kuo
Night shots battle: The iPhone XS has no chance against the Google Pixel 3
Apple releases iPhone XS short movie The Bucket
The wireless headphone market could be worth US$34 billion in 5 years
Microsoft Office 365 hits the Mac App Store
2nd-gen Apple AirPods may get launch date in first half of 2019
Apple's switch to OLED for iPhones results in apparent display-supplier woes
Concept video for iPhone XI offers ideas for Apple to adopt or avoid
Apple store lists iPhone SE from US$249 - stock clearance or making way for the SE 2?
Apple strikes back at the stock market; Amazon tops Microsoft
2019 iPhones will stick with Lightning port: new leak
Antutu tweets its own official Snapdragon 855 benchmarks
Microsoft is putting an end to Windows Mobile support this year
Wireless charging market set to be worth approximately U$21 billion by 2023
Apple has discreetly launched its new Smart Battery Case line-up
Snapdragon 855 benchmarks and comparisons with A12 Bionic & Kirin 980 surface online
Twitter is finally switching back to a fully chronological timeline
Apple cuts iPhone 8 and XR prices in China by 20 percent
Apple AirPower charging pad production may have finally begun
Motherboard report implicates major US carriers in a geolocation data-selling scandal
WSJ report corroborates theory of triple-camera iPhones in 2019
Apple has reportedly reduced new iPhone production requests - again
Apple supplier: Future iPhones could come with significantly smaller Notch
CES 2019 | Belkin and its assorted brands are back
Apple's initial contribution to CES is a giant billboard highlighting the company's privacy-related advantages
Google Analytics exposes Apple: iOS 13 Software spotted
Donald Trump tells Tim Cook that Apple should make iPhones in the US
Google's Project Soli secures FCC approval
Huawei employees reportedly fined for sending an official company tweet on an iPhone
Mophie launches new 18W Powerstation PD series for iPhone and Android
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros