Stable MIUI 12 update hits the Xiaomi Redmi K20 and Mi 9T in India
Xiaomi has all but finished the rollout of MIUI 12 to the devices on Round 1 of its release schedule. The Redmi K20 and Mi 9T are two of five devices to receive MIUI 12 in Round 1, with Xiaomi seemingly reserving the bulk of devices for Round 2. Xiaomi has already upgraded the global and Chinese editions of the Redmi K20 and Mi 9T, with the EU and Russian versions stuck on MIUI 11 for the time being. The company pushed an initial update to Indian handsets last month too, but it seems that few devices were upgraded.
More recently, Xiaomi sent a new build to select devices as part of a Beta Stable test. Now, the build has been given the green light and has been released to more devices. According to Xiaomi:
You should be able to progressively receive the update over-the-air (OTA) on your phones via the Updater app...
If you are yet to receive a notification to download the update, called V188.8.131.52.QFJINXM, then you can download and install it manually. The links can be found on the corresponding Mi Community thread or they can be downloaded from the links provided below. Both links are hosted on Xiaomi's servers, for reference.
If you do opt to install the update manually, then you must transfer the .zip file to the internal storage of your phone under a folder called "downloaded_rom". Following that, you must select "Choose Update Package" from within the three-dot menu in System Update. If this option is not listed on your device, then you can enable it by tapping the MIUI logo ten times. If you download the tgz file instead, then you must install this using the Mi Flash Tool.
- MIUI 12. Yours alone.
- New: All-new physically based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device's look.
- New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- New: Super wallpapers break physical boundaries and keep inspiring you with every touch.
- Fix: Status bar colors weren't displayed correctly in the Dark mode
- New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- New: Pull down a notification sent by a messenger app to turn it into a floating window.
- New: Floating windows keep apps running in the foreground even when you pause to do other things.
- New: You can minimize a floating window using a full screen gesture.
- New: You can open an app in a floating window directly from Recents.
- Optimization: Press and hold an app preview in Recents to choose between Split screen and floating windows.
- New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- Optimization: Control center is now closed by incoming calls
- Optimization: Press and hold redirection options
- Fix: Brightness adjustment bar couldn't be used when Control center was opened for the first time
- Fix: Toggle order wasn't correct on the old toggle panel
- Fix: Switching SIM cards crashed the app in some cases
- Fix: Accessibility features weren't available in the editing mode
- New: Dark mode support is also provided for third party apps now.
- New: Contrast is lowered automatically in low light conditions to protect your eyes.
- New: Wallpapers can be displayed in darker palette when your device switches to Dark mode.
- New: You can hide private items while casting and minimize the window to multitask.
- Fix: Lock screen items were shown on the Always-on display
- Fix: Fingerprint unlock didn't work on Always-on display in some cases
- Removed: Lock screen and Always-on display issues in Second space
- New: Animated Home screen icons are neat and satisfying.
- New: We've added a new animation for uninstalling apps.
- New: Gravitational animations make returning to Home screen look seamless and natural.
- New: App drawer allows you to keep your Home screen neat and categorizes apps so you can find them faster.
- New: New Pro mode features and descriptions
- Optimization: Pro mode parameter naming
- New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
- New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features up front.
- New: New full screen gestures for switching between apps are available.
- New: You can create folders with notes now.
- New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
- New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
- New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
- New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.