Notebookcheck

Samsung Galaxy S10 catches fire while charging

A Galaxy S10 in a very sorry state. (Image source: Weibo)
A Galaxy S10 in a very sorry state. (Image source: Weibo)
The story of a Samsung Galaxy S10 self-destructing has been circulating on Chinese social media platform Weibo. The device apparently caught fire while charging just over a day after it was purchased. An accompanying video shows the bulging battery still smoking, having destroyed the device, in something reminiscent of the Note 7 debacle.

Samsung undertook serious damage control following the recall of the Galaxy Note 7 because of multiple instances of exploding batteries. It has since committed to an 8-point battery safety check of its smartphones to eliminate catastrophic failures. Inevitably, not all batteries will be problem free, considering the volume of smartphones that Samsung produces.

One rogue battery appears to have slipped through the cracks, with a report of a Galaxy S10 exploding currently circulating on Chinese social media website Weibo. The device in question apparently caught fire while charging, with its battery having expanded until it forced the handset to split apart. According to a Weibo post shared by @Sudhanshu1414 on Twitter, the Galaxy S10 exploded while being charged for the first time, having been bought a day earlier.

Apparently, the device got so hot that it caused the owner to drop it when they tried picking it up, at which point it hit the ground. The impact seems to have been the catalyst for the device catching fire, as it only started smoking once it had been dropped. The video below shows the extent of the damage, with the fire melting the back glass and display, destroying the device.

We have come across no other reports of other Galaxy S10 handsets befalling similar fates. While there were reports of Galaxy S10 5G having exploded in April, the cause of the fire proved to be from an external impact, which would seem different to this Galaxy S10. Samsung has not commented on the matter, although the Weibo post alleges that customer services have been unwilling to help the afflicted device.

Working For Notebookcheck

Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Indian citizens welcome!

Currently wanted: 
News and Editorial Editor - Details here

(Image source: Weibo)
(Image source: Weibo)

Source(s)

static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2019 07 > Samsung Galaxy S10 catches fire while charging
Alex Alderson, 2019-07- 2 (Update: 2019-07- 2)
Alex Alderson
Alex Alderson - News Editor - @aldersonaj
Prior to writing and translating for Notebookcheck, I worked for various companies including Apple and Neowin. I have a BA in International History and Politics from the University of Leeds, which I have since converted to a Law Degree. Happy to chat on Twitter or Notebookchat.