AYA NEO: AYA outlines hardware upgrades for second batch consoles and starts accepting orders outside of Indiegogo
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! English native speakers welcome!
News Writer - Details here
Earlier this month, we reported that AYA was already shipping its eponymous console to backers from its Indiegogo campaign. So far, the company has delivered 526 consoles to backers, and it has now provided an update for the remaining backers. Unfortunately, the shipping date has slipped from July to mid-August, but AYA has a good reason this time. If you would rather refund your contribution, you can still do so until July 3.
In an update to backers, AYA has outlined the various changes it plans to make to the AYA NEO before sending out the second batch of orders. As far as we can tell, these are the changes that AYA has or will make:
- Add a linear resonant actuator (improved vibration motor).
- Add a new middle aluminium frame.
- Add a split line among the seams to enhance aesthetics.
- Add analogue shoulder buttons.
- Add conductive rubber buttons.
- Adjust the d-pad's middle axis.
- Adjust the glue feeding position near the air inlet to optimise the mould and reduce defects.
- Improve the internal structure to solve the difference in the left and right edges of the front case.
- Increase the height of the volume button to make it easier to be pressed.
- Increase the support structure between the case and the aluminium frame in the middle to enhance stability.
- Re-optimise heat dissipation module and fan.
- Reduce the height of the battery compartment inside the back case to improve the support of the back case.
- Refine the speakers with sound chambers.
- Remove the original snap design at the top and bottom of the case connection to enhance aesthetics.
- Replace the existing Wi-Fi chip with one from MTK.
- Solve the difference between the upper and lower parts of the case.
The company hopes to have all the components ready by July 30, with assembly commencing in early August. Shipments will then start by mid-August, although AYA has stressed that any component shortages will throw its timeline off. Incidentally, AYA has also revealed the first samples of a revised dock, which you can view below.
AYA has also started selling the AYA NEO on its website, rather than just through Indiegogo. The device starts at US$925, making it considerably more expensive than it was through Indiegogo. The product listing also advises that shipments will begin in the middle of August 2021.