Samsung Galaxy Note 9 explodes inside woman's purse in New York
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team!
German-English-Translator - Details here
Samsung gained a notorious reputation for spontaneously combusting devices two years ago, the Galaxy Note 7 having to be recalled due to a defect that made the devices run at temperatures just a touch higher than ideal. Couple hundred degrees more, in fact. It would appear that yet another Samsung flagship has taken the path of fire, as a Note 9 owner in New York claims their device suddenly went up in flames.
According to Diane Chung’s legal claim, her Note 9 suddenly felt significantly hotter while she was using it inside an elevator. She then put it inside her purse, only for her to hear a “whistling and screeching noise”, with thick smoke pouring out of the purse.
The account continues by saying that Chung tried to take the device out of the purse—burning her fingers in the process—the dense exuding smoke putting her in a state of panic in which she finally managed to kick the combusting device out of the elevator. The device supposedly didn’t stop burning until a helpful passerby dunked it inside a bucket of water.
According to Chung, the event left her traumatized and unable to contact her clients, and the filed legal claim seeks reparation for damages and a restraining order barring sales of the Galaxy Note 9.
While the account does seem a tad inflated, we’re not going to go into that, as we have a feeling Samsung’s lawyers can do a much better job. That in mind, it’s unlikely the South Korean OEM stops selling the Note 9 over this isolated incident. Of course, there's also a chance we have another Note 7 fiasco on our hands, although we wouldn't bet on that.
We’ll be sure to keep you updated on this.
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros