Google Pixel smartphones, Pixel Fold, Pixel Tablet and Pixel Watch receive bug fixes with new August updates
Google has released August updates for its smartphones, starting with the Pixel 4a. Additionally, the same update has arrived for the Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet, albeit with slightly different revision numbers. For reference, while the Pixel 4a through Pixel 7a have received TQ3A.230805.001, save for carrier-locked models, Google has brought TQ3A.230805.001.B1 and TQ3C.230805.001.A3 to the Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet, respectively.
Regardless of the software version number, this month's updates introduce the 2023-08-05 security patch to eligible devices, which addresses 48 outstanding security vulnerabilities. Please see Google's latest Android Security Bulletin for more details. According to Google, it also made a few other improvements but only to the Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet, which are as follows:
- Fix for issue occasionally causing Bluetooth keyboards to not connect (Pixel Fold/Pixel Tablet)
- Fix for issue causing certain Live Wallpapers to display incorrectly in different device orientations (Pixel Fold)
- Fix for issue occasionally causing lock screen to not respond (Pixel Fold)
- Fix for issue occasionally causing home screen launcher search input to not register (Pixel Fold)
- Fix for issue occasionally causing flickering or glitches while in Hub Mode (Pixel Tablet)
Also, it is worth noting that the company now publishes a dedicated Wear OS Security Bulletin for the Pixel Watch and other smartwatches running Wear OS 3. By contrast, Google has published RWDC.230805.001 for the Pixel Watch, which brings the smartwatch up to the 2023-08-01 security patch. Typically, Google takes a few days to deliver its monthly updates. However, you can usually trigger these updates manually by tapping 'Check for Updates' within the main Settings menu.