MIUI 11 lands on the Xiaomi Redmi 8, but remains on Android 9.0 Pie
Xiaomi has impressed us with its recent budget Redmi handsets, such as the Redmi 7 and Redmi 8A. While we are yet to review the Redmi 8, the device has already picked up MIUI 11 globally. Incidentally, Xiaomi started pushing the update to the handset last month alongside the Redmi 8A, but it has taken a few weeks longer to finalise MIUI 11 for the global version of the former.
The update, called MIUI V18.104.22.168.PCNMIXM, weighs in at 681 MB and contains numerous optimisations. We have included the changelog below for the full overview of what changes MIUI 11 brings to the Redmi 8, rather than extol the areas in which Xiaomi has improved its budget handset. It is worth noting that this build is based on Android 9.0 Pie though, the same underlying version of Android with which the Redmi 8 launched in October.
As we have stated before, we have no problem with Xiaomi continuing to disassociate its editions of MIUI from the versions of Android on which they are based. However, one may think that their handset is being updated to Android 10, as Xiaomi not only coincided the showcase of MIUI 11 alongside the release of Android 10, but also because some flagship handsets are now running Android 10 builds of its in-house OS. Hence, the approach remains somewhat disingenuous, in our opinion.
MIUI V22.214.171.124.PCNMIXM changelog:
Comprehensive design optimized for full-screen display devices
- Removing visual clutter, improving touch controls, and refining the use of color allowed us to create the system where nothing stands between you and the content.
Sounds of nature
- Wake up to the gentle sounds of nature with our new alarm ringtones.
- Notification sounds won’t make you tired. Now, they keep changing dynamically, just like nature does.
- Preview your documents before you open them.
- Stay productive and efficient with our all-new Mi Doc Viewer.
- Tasks. Manage and edit your tasks in the Notes app. Receive timely notifications and mark things done.
- Quick replies. Reply to messages from any app.
- Game Turbo. Turn your device into an ultimate gaming console.
- New: Editing, sharing, and customizing your screenshots is now much easier.
- Optimization: Lock screen pocket mode.
- Updated Android Security Patch to November 2019. Increased system security.
Lockscreen, status bar, Notification shade
- New: Different options for hiding the notch.
- New: Quick replies for messaging apps.
Game speed booster
- New: Continuous swiping opens an additional menu in Game Turbo now.
- New: You can create a Home screen shortcut for Game Turbo now.
- Refreshed start page of Game Turbo.
- Auto brightness, screenshot gestures, and Reading mode can be turned off automatically when Game Turbo is on.
- A major upgrade for the toolbox in Game Turbo: autoplay and switching between data SIM cards are available now.
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros