Garmin releases major update for Fenix 7, Instinct 2, Tactix 7, Epix 2 series smartwatches
Garmin has announced the rollout of a major update for numerous smartwatches. Introduced via a press release, the update should be available for some devices today. However, it could take a few days for the updates to reach all eligible models.
Specifically, Garmin has issued updates for the Enduro 2, Epix 2, Fenix 7, Instinct 2, Instinct Crossover, Marq 2, Quatix 7, Tactix 7 and the Vivomove. As always, this stable update is the culmination of several public alpha and beta builds distributed through its Beta Program. Among other things, the update brings a new jet lag app that can provide sleep pattern recommendations through the Garmin Connect app to minimise the negative effects associated with moving between time zones. Additionally, the update includes the following changes:
- Backcountry Ski and Snowboard Enhancements: Previously, users had to manually distinguish between descending and climbing, but now, that data is tracked automatically. Just start a backcountry ski or snowboard activity and the smartwatch will take it from there.
- Jet Lag Adviser: Travelers can enter their trip details in the Garmin Connect™ smartphone app calendar and receive information on light exposure, a sleep schedule and exercise to help minimize the effects of jet lag on their next long-distance trip.
- Wakesports Activities: Track stats for water skiing, wakeboarding, wake surfing and tubing. The activity profiles can detect when the user is moving or waiting for the boat, and also let them check previous runs.
- Sail Expedition: When recording a multiday sailing activity, sensors and accessories on compatible smartwatches will be turned off to maximize battery life but will still track GPS location once an hour.
- Physio TrueUp Enhancements: Sync even more physiological data – including training status, training load, load focus and more – between multiple Garmin devices to get a more complete picture of training efforts.
- Sunrise/Sunset Widget Enhancements: Know when to begin an adventure or when to set up camp before dark with daily sunrise and sunset times. Adventurers can view a map that shows the sun’s position in the sky overlayed with their own – helping them to understand the position of the sky at different times of the day.
- Sleep Score: Now available on vívomove Sport, vívomove Style and vívomove Luxe, users can better understand how they’re sleeping with a score based on the quality and quantity of the previous night’s sleep.
It is worth noting that Garmin restricts some new features to certain models. The table embedded below highlights which features are available across all models and which have a degree of exclusivity associated with them. Please see Garmin’s press release for more details.