MIUI 12 stable update arrives for the global and Indian versions of the Xiaomi Redmi K20 and Mi 9T
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! English native speakers welcome!
News Writer (AUS/NZL based) - Details here
Xiaomi is ploughing ahead with Round 1 of its MIUI 12 release schedule. Having recently brought its latest OS upgrade to the global versions of the Redmi K20 Pro and Mi 9T Pro along with the European version of the Mi 9, Xiaomi has now expanded MIUI 12 to the global and Indian versions of the Redmi K20 and Mi 9T. These initial builds are still based on Android 10, but Android 11 versions of MIUI 12 should land later this year. Xiaomi typically treats its devices to two Android OS upgrades, so Android 11 may well be the last stop for the Redmi K20 and Mi 9T. Based on past performance, Xiaomi should support devices that are not upgraded beyond Android 11 until at least MIUI 14.
The initial MIUI 12 updates for the Redmi K20 and Mi 9T have begun being issued as over-the-air (OTA) downloads. The global edition will receive V22.214.171.124.QFJMIXM, whereas devices enrolled on the Indian branch of MIUI will be upgraded to V126.96.36.199.QFJINXM. While multiple handsets have already been upgraded, you can download the updates from Xiaomi's servers. The links can be found here and here for the global and Indian versions, respectively.
We have included the full changelog below too, which is rather long. Some of the major changes include new system animations, an updated dark mode and refined gesture controls. Xiaomi has also begun accepting applications for Round 2 of its MIUI 12 release schedule. The devices on this list include the Redmi Note 8 series, the Redmi Note 7 series and the Pocophone F1. The full list of devices that will receive MIUI 12 in Round 2 can be viewed in the screenshot below.
- MIUI 12. Yours alone.
- New: All-new physically-based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device's look.
- New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- New: Reset your device ID and control how it's used based on virtual ID technology.
- New: Grant permissions that will be used only while you're using an app.
- New: You can also grant permissions just once, and decide again next time a permission is required.
- New: Restrict access to telephony to third party apps.
- New: Return blank messages to the apps that require personal information.
- New: Receive notifications whenever apps record audio, use camera, or access your location.
- New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- New: Get comprehensive stats on how apps use permissions in app behavior history.
- New: Visit privacy.miui.com to learn how MIUI protects your privacy.
- Optimization: Apps aren't allowed to launch other apps in the background now.
- New: Pull down a notification sent by a messenger app to turn it into a floating window.
- New: Floating windows keep apps running in the foreground even when you pause to do other things.
- New: You can minimize a floating window using a full screen gesture.
- New: You can open an app in a floating window directly from Recents.
- Optimization: Press and hold an app preview in Recents to choose between Split screen and floating windows.
AI Call Assistant
- New: Mi AI can answer your calls now!
- New: You can record a customized greeting that will be played to the other person during AI calls.
- New: Customized greetings are also supported for outgoing calls.
- New: All-new Xiaomi Health gives you more options and makes your health stats more accurate.
- New: Put your device next to you before falling asleep to analyze your sleep cycle and record talking and snoring.
- New: You can sync data with supported wearable and smart home devices.
- New: Xiaomi Health can remind you to stand up and move when it detects that you've been sitting down for too long.
- New: The app also analyzes your stats and gives you simple health advice.
- New: Our new low-power consumption AI algorithm allows you to count steps and track workouts whenever your device is with you.
- New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- Optimization: Control center is now closed by incoming calls
- Optimization: Press and hold redirection options
- Fix: Brightness adjustment bar couldn't be used when the Control Center was opened for the first time
- Fix: Toggle order wasn't correct on the old toggle panel
- Fix: Switching SIM cards crashed the app in some cases
- Fix: Accessibility features weren't available in the editing mode
- New: Mi Ditto combines dictation and speech output, making mobile devices more convenient for people who have difficulties using conventionally designed smartphones.
- New: Dark mode support is also provided for third party apps now.
- New: Contrast is lowered automatically in low light conditions to protect your eyes.
- New: Font weight is adjusted to Dark mode as well, reducing blur and glare.
- New: Wallpapers can be displayed in a darker palette when your device switches to Dark mode.
- New: Traffic and suggested routes to airports and train stations.
- New: You can track your previous trips now.
- New: Checklists for trips.
- New: Alarms for train arrivals.
Mi Carrier Services
- New: View your SIM balance and mobile data usage stats.
- New: Save frequently used phone numbers to top up balance and buy mobile data later.
- New: Buy SIM cards and services.
- Updated Android Security Patch to May 2020. Increased system security.
- New: Promotional messages are grouped according to their content now.
Status bar, Notification shade
- New: All-new design.
- New: Animated Home screen icons are neat and satisfying.
- New: We've added a new animation for uninstalling apps.
- New: Gravitational animations make returning to Home screen look seamless and natural.
- New: A new mode for scanning documents
- Screen Time
- New: Dashboard with the stats that cover 4 weeks is available now.
- Optimization: New design makes your Screen time stats more comprehensible.
- New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
- New: Security introduces new comprehensive privacy protection mechanisms.
- New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features up front.
- New: New full-screen gestures for switching between apps are available.
- File Manager
- New: Use the floating shortcut to filter and sort items, as well as switch view.
- New: New layout tailored for landscape orientation is available now.
- New: We added lots of fresh animations that will accompany your actions.
- New: Calendar cards will remind you about important events and anniversaries.
- New: You can create folders with notes now.
- New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
- New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
- New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
- New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- New: Keep your home safe with smart home device alerts.
- New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.
- New: Shared family storage plan is available now.
- Some features might not be available on this device. Visit www.miui.com to learn more about MIUI 12.