iOS 15.4 begins rolling out to the iPhone 6s or newer with Face ID improvements for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 series
Apple has released iOS 15.4, the tenth update in the iOS 15 family to date. Available on the iPhone 6s or later, iOS 15.4 introduces more bug fixes and enhancements for specific iPhones than it does new features. According to Apple's changelog, iOS 15.4 contains the following enhancements:
- Safari webpage translation adds support for Italian and Chinese (Traditional)
- Podcasts app adds episode filters for seasons, played, unplayed, saved, or downloaded episodes
- iCloud custom email domains can be managed from Settings
- News offers enhanced discovery of audio content in the Today feed and Audio tab
- Camera in keyboard can be used to add text to Notes and Reminders
- Shortcuts now supports adding, removing, or querying tags with Reminders
- Emergency SOS settings have changed to use Call with Hold for all users. Call with 5 Presses is still available as an option in Emergency SOS settings
- Close-up in Magnifier uses the ultra-wide camera on iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max to help you see small objects
- Saved passwords can now include your own notes in Settings
Additionally, iOS 15.4 addresses five bugs, including one where the default keyboard would insert a period between typed numbers. Apple adds that photos and videos should sync to iCloud Photo Library again, while Live Listen should now turn off when disabled in Control Centre. Moreover, the Speak Screen Accessibility feature should no longer quit unexpectedly within the Books app, and news widgets in Today View will open articles when selected.
Furthermore, iOS 15.4 allows people to use Face ID while wearing a mask, but only on the iPhone 12 or iPhone 13 series. Likewise, you can now use Apple Pay and password autofill with Face ID if you have a mask on. Incidentally, Apple has enabled the option of storing EU Digital COVID certificates in Apple Pay, along with verifiable versions of COVID-19 vaccination, lab results, and recovery records in the Health app. Like iPadOS 15.4, iOS 15.4 brings emoji, FaceTime and Siri improvements too. iOS 15.4 is rolling out now globally and is over a 1 GB download.