The Xiaomi Mi 11 receives MIUI 12.5 with new features and improved performance
Xiaomi launched the Mi 11 a few months ago, but it has now been usurped as the company's premier smartphone by the Mi 11 Pro, Mi 11 Ultra and the Mi Mix Fold. We were fans of the Mi 11 when we reviewed it, although it did not manage the Snapdragon 888 well during long gaming sessions. Additionally, its battery life failed to impress us, and neither did its cameras. However, we did not encounter the volume of bugs that other outlets did, like Gizmochina.
The Mi 11 ships with MIUI 12, which Xiaomi has now replaced with MIUI 12.5. According to ITHome, Xiaomi has started rolling out MIUI 12.5 to Mi 11 handsets in China, presumably following a successful Stable Beta development phase. The MIUI 12.5 changelog is a lengthy one, with over 50 new features that affect all elements of MIUI. You can read the changelog below.
ITHome claims that MIUI 12.5 fixes many of the bugs for the Mi 11 present on MIUI 12 too, which the changelog does not mention. Apparently, all these new features also make the Mi 11 feel faster to use, if the Mi 11 did not feel fast enough already. Hopefully, this is the case for MIUI 12.5 across all Xiaomi smartphones. The company states that it will begin rolling out MIUI 12.5 to devices outside of China sometime this quarter, with more to follow in the summer.
- New: Response to gestures is now instant.
- New: With 20 times more rendering power, there are now few limits to what you can see on your screen.
- New: With custom device model adjustments, any phone becomes faster after the upgrade.
- Updated Android Security Patch to March 2021. Increased system security.
- MIUI became lighter, faster, and more durable.
- New: A new animation framework renders movement more realistically.
- New: New UI design is focused on visualization and making your interaction with the device more lifelike.
- New: Haptic feedback brings a new dimension to familiar actions.
- New: All accessibility features become more informative and intuitive with haptic feedback.
- New: Nature mix is a new exciting way of creating your own notification sound system.
- New: Hundreds of system sounds that represent animals from all around the world.
- New: Stereo system sounds.
- New: Mount Siguniang super wallpaper.
- New: Now you can see what apps access your clipboard and control access.
- New: Using approximate location adds up points to privacy protection.
- New: You can now manage sensitive permissions and related app behavior independently.
- New: The behavior of web pages is also tracked now, which helps you to block unwanted and malicious actions.
- New: Now it's up to you who and when can track your online behavior.
- New: All apps now come with a security statement from GetApps.
- New: Privacy risk scanner.
- New: Control which apps access and delete items from your Gallery.
- New: A comprehensive overview of all sensitive permissions.
- New: You'll be notified whenever high-risk permissions are used and will be able to block the corresponding actions.
- Optimization: An all-new privacy protection page.
- New: Compose mind maps with complex structures.
- New: New tools for doodling and sketching.
- New: Press and hold a sketch to adjust the strokes automatically.
- New: A gesture shortcut now allows you to create notes, tasks, and excerpts anywhere.
- New: Excerpts save text, URLs, and images to Notes in a few simple taps.
- New: Dynamic layouts make bring the typography in Notes to a new level.
- All-new Notes.
- You can combine your phone and computer into a single working station.
- You can view MIUI notifications and open phone apps on your computer.
- Apps from your phone can be handed off to your computer.
- The items copied on a phone can now be pasted on the computer and vice versa.
- Photos and screenshots from a mobile device can be instantly used on a computer.
- Web pages can be seamlessly handed over from one device to another.
- You can transfer files to your mobile device using the "MIUI+" panel on your computer.
- New "File Manager" and "Notes" for computers.
- New: Instant messengers now support floating windows.
- New: Floating windows can be quickly replaced with fullscreen versions of the apps.
- New: App flashcards Show key info when apps are displayed as floating windows.
- *Learn more about new features in "Special features".
- New: "Ripples" animation for downloading apps.
- New: "Burst" animation for uninstalling apps.
- New: New design for app folders.
- New: A vertical layout for Recents.
- New: Convert images to PDF.
- New: Password manager allows you to store passwords in the cloud.
- New: You can share device location with other people in your family sharing group.
- New: Location information can be recorded automatically before the device powers off.
Mi Carrier Services
- New: You can manage multiple SIM cards now.
- New: A more convenient way to move a cursor using the scrollbar.
- New: Function buttons support switching between languages and keyboards.
- New: You can press and hold the function buttons to access more features.
- New: Custom themes for keyboards.
- New: Font weight adjustment options for third party fonts.
- Optimization: Personalization features for system wallpapers, animations, and sounds.
- New: Wallpaper customization in the lite mode.
- Optimization: Redesigned Incognito mode.
- Optimization: Pages load much faster now.