Garmin: Fresh update brings new features and improvements to several smartwatches
Garmin has released a new update to its fēnix and Marq series of smartwatches. Specifically, software version 20.30 has arrived for the fēnix 6 and Marq series, soon to be superseded by the fēnix 7 series. For reference, we have included the update's changelog below, which introduces nearly two-dozen changes.
For example, Garmin has added support for Pickleball, snowshoe activities and tennis. Additionally, Garmin has expanded its biking activity profiles for eBikes, Cyclocross and road biking, among others. Moreover, you can now turn off recording during a golf round or be alerted if your smartwatch's battery reaches critically-low levels when syncing music. Also, Garmin has enabled HIIT workouts for the fēnix 6 and Marq series.
Garmin's new firmware is available to download and install now via its website. The company has included several installation instructions too, which it suggests you follow before attempting to install software version 20.30. The update's changelog is as follows:
- Improved altitude calibration.
- Added ability to turn off recording an activity during a golf round.
- Added an alert to notify user when battery is critically low during a music sync.
- Added HRV Support from chest strap for Yoga and breathwork.
- Added pop-up to Pulse Ox Measuring feature if the device detects too much movement and cannot get an accurate measurement.
- Added support for new biking activity profiles: eBike, eMTB, Cyclocross, Gravel Bike, Bike Commute, Bike Tour, and Road Bike.
- Added support for the HIIT activity profile and workouts.
- Added support for the Pickleball profile.
- Added support for the Padel profile.
- Added support for the snowshoe activity profile.
- Added support for the tennis activity profile.
- Added new tips to indicate which activities support Incident detection.
- Improved Explore Sync app waypoint load times.
- Improved Lactate Threshold and Altitude Acclimation algorithms.
- Improved measurement loading UI when taking an SpO2 measurement.
- Update the altimeter's auto calibration to be either be "On" or "Nightly". Setting to "On" will set the device to periodically calibrate altitude throughout the day. Setting to "Nightly" will set the device to calibrate altitude at night and before the start of an activity.
- Fixed issue with alarms intermittently not going off when the device is set in Max. Battery Mode.
- Fixed display issues on the device after navigating to a point initiated by the Garmin Explore App.
- Fixed issue where selecting a single point on a map that contained multiple items would not display the items properly.
- Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files.
- Fixed issue where PacePro bands would not be recognized by the device.
- Fixed issue with activities reporting incorrect Activity Calories and Training Effect data.