The return of the headphone jack: Sony Xperia 1 II official spec sheet leaks in full ahead of launch
After months of rumors, Sony will finally unveil its new flagship at an event tomorrow. The device will succeed last year's Xperia 1. While one would expect it to be called the Xperia 2, Sony has opted to egregiously name it "Xperia 1 II". Name aside, however, the flagship does look excellent.
Here's a rundown of the phone's spect sheet, going by popular leakster Max Weinbach's Twitter post.
- 6.5-inch 21:9 4K OLED display
- Motion Blur Reduction (90 Hz equivalent)
- 8 GB of RAM, 256 GB of storage
- Snapdragon 865
- 5G, sub 6, no mmWave
- 24mm 1/1.7" 12 MP Dual-PD AF OIS
- 16mm 12 MP 1/2.6" Dual-PD AF
- 70mm 12 MP 1/3.4" PDAF OIS
- 8 MP selfie camera
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- 4000 mAH battery
Here are some major takeaways from that technical spec sheet.
- The 21:9 4K OLED display format that debuted on the Xperia 1 makes a re-appearance
- Sony finally reintroduces the 3.5mm headphone jack after ditching it on the Xperia XZ2 phones two years ago
- The panel itself doesn't appear to be a 90Hz one, but Sony is implementing a supposedly equivalent technology
- The telephoto lens jumps to 3x optical zoom, from the Xperia 1's 2x zoom
- This is actual zoom with a 70mm equivalent, unlike Samsung's shenanigans with the Galaxy S20 and S20+
- According to Max Weinbach, the main 12 MP 1/1.7" sensor is the same one on the Galaxy S20 and S20+
- There's no support for 8K video recording, since none of the three sensors meet the 33 MP resolution requirement
- The Xperia 1 II sees a massive jump in battery size, going from 3300 mAh on last year's phone, to a 4000 mAh unit
What do you think about the Xperia 1 II? Let us know in the comments below.
Xperia 1 II specs and images pic.twitter.com/Jm0n7oHW0o— Max Weinbach (@MaxWinebach) February 23, 2020
That 70mm zoom is also 3X optical zoom which is nice.— Max Weinbach (@MaxWinebach) February 23, 2020
Headphone jack with hi res audio? Sony is the new LG.