Notebookcheck

Razer CEO appears in Bloomberg interview, posts $48 million in losses, $357 million in revenue, 30.3 percent growth YoY, and explains the infamous toaster

Razer CEO appears in Bloomberg interview, posts $48 million in losses, $357 million in revenue, and 30.3 percent growth YoY (Source: Razer)
Razer CEO appears in Bloomberg interview, posts $48 million in losses, $357 million in revenue, and 30.3 percent growth YoY (Source: Razer)
Razer still hasn't broken even yet with Min-Liang Tan pointing his fingers at scaling and new investments as core contributors. The company continues to grow in terms of revenue and is looking at cloud gaming as a potential "fourth pillar" to accompany Razer's existing hardware, software, and services.

To promote Razer's budding cloud gaming partnership with Tencent, Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan had a short interview on Bloomberg this week detailing his vision for the company and how he plans to reach out to even more youth and millennial users. In short, Tan is betting big on hardware and software that focus on cloud-based mobile games in a similar manner to Google and its upcoming cloud-based Stadia platform.

Aside from the above, Tan also dropped a few bullet points about the company's finances as of H1 2019. Revenue had grown by just over 30 percent YoY to $357 million even though Razer is still in the red at $48 million. Unsurprisingly, a massive 85 percent of Razer's revenue comes from sales of laptops, keyboards, mice, smartphones, and general accessories while the other 15 percent consists of mostly software and services. Should Razer's venture with Tencent prove to be successful, then we can expect software and services to be bigger sources of revenue in the near future.

Tan also begrudgingly confirmed that the Razer toaster is still in the works to please the hardcore Razer fans who successfully rallied the CEO to invest in such a product. Even so, it remains to be seen when the toaster will come to fruition and how many would be produced. If it ever gets that far, the toaster will likely be in very limited quantities.

Working For Notebookcheck

Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Indian citizens welcome!

Currently wanted: 
News and Editorial Editor - Details here

static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2019 08 > Razer CEO appears in Bloomberg interview, posts $48 million in losses, $357 million in revenue, 30.3 percent growth YoY, and explains the infamous toaster
Allen Ngo, 2019-08-23 (Update: 2019-08-23)
Allen Ngo
Allen Ngo - US Editor in Chief
After graduating with a B.S. in environmental hydrodynamics from the University of California, I studied reactor physics to become licensed by the U.S. NRC to operate nuclear reactors. There's a striking level of appreciation you gain for everyday consumer electronics after working with modern nuclear reactivity systems astonishingly powered by computers from the 80s. When I'm not managing day-to-day activities and US review articles on Notebookcheck, you can catch me following the eSports scene and the latest gaming news.