Dell Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme promises to be the lightest and most powerful in its size class
The last 11.6-inch rugged tablet we reviewed from Dell was four years ago when the Latitude 12 was brand new. It sported a passively-cooled dual-core Core M-5Y71 CPU and a 768p TN touchscreen wrapped in a 24 mm-thick chassis. Dell will be refreshing the model with the newly announced 11.6-inch Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme before the end of this month.
As expected, improvements have been made across the board. Users can now configure with actively-cooled Intel U-series CPUs up to the Core i7-8665U vPro for vastly improved performance over the Intel Y-series. The touchscreen has been updated to 1080p with a 1000-nit backlight for better outdoor visibility and Wi-Fi 6 will now be an option. The final design is expected to be almost 4 mm thinner than the 2015 model (20.3 mm vs 24 mm).
The Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme is now shipping for a starting price of $1900 USD.
Round Rock, Texas – October 29, 2019
· Lightest and most powerful 12” fully-rugged tablet on the market[i] built to keep users productive and connected in the most extreme environments
· FirstNet Ready™ device lets first responders tap into the power of FirstNet[ii] – America’s public safety communications platform
· Screen and data easily viewable even in direct sunlight, with an enhanced 1000 NIT FHD display with anti-glare coatings
Dell today announced the Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme tablet, built to meet the demands of workers in harsh environments; from the factory floor to ambulances, desert sandstorms to Arctic conditions.
The lightest and most powerful rugged 12” tablet on the market today[iii] is designed to provide the mobility and connectivity to help field users stay productive; its durability offering peace of mind for those in some of the dirtiest, wettest, most challenging and most critical workplaces. Updated features include an enhanced 1000 NIT FHD display with anti-glare coatings, allowing customers to access and showcase their work even when out in direct sunlight. The screen is also glove responsive and multi-touch capable.
Secure and reliable communication is a priority for first responders, public safety organizations and service utilities’ organizations that need to operate when everything else is down. That’s why the Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme was designed to offer a broad range of connectivity options, including access to FirstNet.[iv]
FirstNet – built with AT&T in a public-private partnership with the First Responder Network Authority – is designed for first responders and those critical to their emergency response. The FirstNet Ready Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme supports access to the physically separate and dedicated FirstNet network core, FirstNet First Priority® – which includes always-on priority and preemption for first responders – and the FirstNet Band 14 spectrum.
With the Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme and FirstNet services, first responders can connect to the critical information they need every day and in every emergency. This connectivity, combined with the built-in camera, means that first responders can make video calls and stream data from the field.[v]
The Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme offers performance and connectivity for ultimate field productivity:
· High-performance processing power for the most in-demand field applications - The tablet can be configured to individual user needs, with options including the latest 8th Generation Intel Core Processors boasting up to 2TB[vi] of high performance and reliable PCIe solid state drives.
· Reliability and safety in extreme environments - The tablet has passed MIL-STD-810G/H testing and is also IP-65 rated for protection against dust, dirt, and water ingress, along with hazardous location Class 1 Div 2 certifications. Drop tested from 4 ft and tested to withstand -20 to 145 Fahrenheit temperatures[vii], the tablet is built to support you whatever the environment.
· Uninterrupted power – Optional dual hot-swappable battery-architecture and on-the-go charging ecosystem for uninterrupted operation.
· Optimal Screen Interactivity - Anti-glare treatments on the 1000 NIT FHD displays provides excellent readability in all conditions. The new Rugged Active Pen and glove-capable multi-touch functionality enables a reliable pen and touch experience.
· Mission-critical connectivity - 802.11ax Wifi, global 4G/LTE broadband[viii] and assignable RF pass-through options for WWAN, WLAN and GPS mean users can easily stay connected wherever they are.
· Integrated security features - A built-in infrared camera with Windows Hello facial recognition allows users to log in into their devices securely and easily. Optional next-generation fingerprint, contactless and contacted smartcard readers benefit those needing to balance the security of their data with user accessibility.
· Easy integration - IT managers will appreciate the ease of deployment - the Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme tablet is compatible with most existing Latitude Rugged Extreme tablet vehicle and desk docks and previous generation accessories.
· Support services designed to make unplanned downtime a thing of the past – Dell Pro Support Plus service options include 24/7 access to the most experienced Dell technicians and same or next business day onsite repair after remote diagnosis.[ix]
“Dell Rugged customers are often operating in the most challenging, unpredictable environments out there, and constant access to their data can be vital to their roles. The new Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme tablet offers the latest processors and several connectivity options in a compact, light device, perfect for those in the field,” comments Tom Tobul, vice president, Dell Specialty Products.
“The impact of reliable technology and connectivity options for Dell customers in these critical roles should not be underestimated. The tablet’s certification for use on FirstNet, and it’s WiFi and broadband capabilities make it easier for first responders on scene to share live updates, which could help drastically improve the coordination of resources in emergency situations.”
Availability and Pricing
The new Latitude 7220 Rugged Extreme tablet will be available for sale on October 29, 2019, starting at $1,899 USD.
· To see how Dell tests its Rugged devices, watch this video
· Learn more about Dell’s Rugged solutions at DellEMC.com/Rugged
About Dell Technologies
(NYSE:DELL) is a unique family of businesses that helps organizations and individuals build their digital future and transform how they work, live, and play. The company provides customers with the industry’s broadest and most innovative technology and services portfolio spanning from edge to core to cloud.