Samsung announces Gear S smartwatch and Gear Circle earbuds
With less than two weeks until their IFA 2014 Unpacked event, Samsung decided to unveil the Gear S smartwatch, a wearable that "redefines the idea of the smart wearable and the culture of mobile communication" and allows its users to enjoy "a truly connected life anywhere, anytime."
Samsung Gear S has the following specs and features:
- Processor: 1 GHz dual-core, no other details available for now
- Memory/Storage: 512 MB RAM; 4 GB internal storage
- Display: 2-inch curved Super AMOLED with 360X480 pixels
- Connectivity: 2G and 3 G, Bluetooth 4.1, WiFi 802.11 n, USB 2.0, GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS
- Sensors: accelerometer, heart rate, gyroscope, compass, UV, barometer, ambient light
- Operating system: Tizen
- Battery/Autonomy: Lithium-ion 300 mAh; 2 days typical usage
- Dimensions: 1.57X2.3X0.49 inches
The Gear S smartwatch is IP67-certified for protection from water and dust. Next to the smartwatch, the Gear Circle earbuds (Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity, up to 11 hours talk time and 300 hours standby) will hit the market starting in October. Pricing is not available yet, but more details about these upcoming Gear devices can be found in the press release below.