Garmin Fenix 6 series receives a substantial update including support for Connect IQ system 5
Garmin has introduced a new beta build for the Fenix 6 series, having also recently updated the Forerunner 945. While the latter benefits from the Fenix 7’s feature set, the Fenix 6 series has received an altogether different update. Currently a beta build, version 20.82, is available for the Fenix 6, Fenix 6s, their Pro variants and the Fenix 6x Pro. For reference, we have included the download links for each smartwatch:
Incidentally, Garmin has provided installation instructions for updating to version 20.82, which are as follows:
- Connect the watch to your computer.
- Copy the included gupdate.gcd file (from the System_x.xx folder) to the Primary\Garmin folder on your watch.
- If there is a Sensor Hub_v*** folder, place the gupXXXX.gcd file into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device. Please note, not all Beta releases will include an update.
- If there is a ANT_BT_BLE_v*** folder, place the gupXXXX.gcd file into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device. Please note, not all Beta releases will include an update.
- Disconnect the watch from the computer and it will prompt you to update software
According to a forum post, Garmin has added support for Connect IQ system 5, plus an Endurance Horseback Riding Activity. Like the Forerunner 945, the Fenix 6 series now supports Garmin’s ‘Resting Heartrate True-Up feature, allowing you to sync RHD data across your devices synced to the same account. Similarly, the Fenix 6 series should detect sleep and sleep staging more accurately.
You can find the full changelog on Garmin’s forum post, which Garmin stresses is the only place that it will publish it. Moreover, version 20.82 addresses the following bugs across the Fenix 6 series:
- Fixed an issue when setting timer alerts on the Track Run activity.
- Fixed an issue where one could preview workout videos for user created workouts. (Pro Models)
- Fixed an issue where animations for some Garmin-created workouts did not display during a workout. (Pro Models)
- Fixed an issue where inReach menus are available while in Expedition mode. These menus are no longer available when in Expedition mode.
- Fixed an issue where the time of day would intermittently get cut off on the lap alert.
- Fixed an issue where the lap banner would not go away when on the music player.
- Fixed an intermittent issue where the backlight would not turn off in Expedition mode.
- Fixed an intermittent issue where graphical data fields would not render properly.
- Fixed an intermittent issue where the wifi setup page would show the same network multiple times. (Pro Models)
- Fixed slight UI delay when accessing widgets from the watch face.
- Fixed UI issue on the golf last round widget.
- Connect IQ stability improvements and bug fixes.
- Other minor improvements and bug fixes.