Updated | Fanciful Apple iPhone 14 price drop hinted at in latest information dump
Update August 31: Noted concept creator Ian Zelbo has created a new set of renderings featuring the iPhone 14 (and iPhone 14 Max) and iPhone 14 Pro (and iPhone 14 Pro Max) clad in the colors contained in this latest leak that are mentioned below. The images can be seen below the article.
As the “Far Out” Apple event grows closer, iPhone 14 leaks increase in frequency. We now have an “information dump” that comes from the Korean-language forum Naver. The original poster, yeux1122, frequently posts leaks and rumors about smartphones, but the following details need to be looked at with a skeptical point of view until Apple officially confirms them. As mentioned above, many of the details on offer about the iPhone 14 range have already been shared by tipsters such as @Jioriku and @LeaksApplePro, but the claim about the price is quite startling. Running through the other nine leaks quickly:
- A16 performance is higher thanks to improved cooling system
- Default colors are green, purple, blue, black, white, red (iPhone 14/iPhone 14 Max) and green, purple, silver, gold, graphite (iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max)
- Titanium prototype proved too costly
- Storage starts at 128 GB and there will be no 2 TB variant
- Punch-hole looks weird at first but developers prefer it over the notch
- Gorilla Glass Victus is present
- 30 W wired charging support is onboard
- MagSafe has stronger magnet and battery accessories included
- Battery capacity is higher than previous generation
Of course, for many the most interesting detail will be about the Apple iPhone 14 price. Many tipsters and analysts have made it quite clear over the passing months that Apple will probably price its 2022 iPhones higher than the iPhone 13 series, with the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max being the most likely candidates for a price hike. However, this new group of leaks contains the claim (machine translated) that “prices may be in a completely different direction than expected.”
As expectations all point in the direction of the price going up, this statement can only suggest that prices are actually going to go down. There have been some very optimistic comments that US$699 could be the price for a standard iPhone 14, although it’s more likely this model would be US$799 while any price drop may occur higher up. For instance, the iPhone 14 Pro price is rumored to be likely US$1,099 while the iPhone 14 Pro Max hits US$1,199, but it is not entirely impossible to imagine that Apple has decided to match those prices with the iPhone 13 Pro models, so US$999 and US$1,099, respectively.