Smartwatch shipments fall for the first time
Apple is a key player in a few markets, and the smartwatch market is one of them. Considering this fact, the fall of the global smartwatch market in the second quarter does not come as a surprise at all. However, while none of the other top 5 vendors had to face drops, Apple's weak sales alone were enough to drive the global smartwatch market down by no less than 32 percent.
This is the evolution of the smartwatch sales for each of the top 5 smartwatch vendors in the second quarter compared to the same period of 2015:
- Apple - 1.6 million units and 47 percent share, 55 percent down from 3.6 million units shipped in 2Q15 (72 percent market share back then)
- Samsung - 0.6 million units and 16 percent, 51 percent up
- Lenovo - 0.3 million and 9 percent, 75 percent growth
- LG - 0.3 million and 8 percent, 26 percent increase in shipments
- Garmin - 0.1 million and 16 percent, 25 percent growth