Eurocom releases P7 Pro mobile workstation
The Canadian laptop manufacturer Eurocom today released a new 17.3-inch mobile workstation, the P7 Pro. Its most notable feature is the use of desktop processors from Intel such as Core i5 and Core i7 (including overclockable "K" models) as well as Xeon E3 series. Despite the massive 7-pipe cooling system required for these 80-88W chips, the laptop's weight is surprisingly low at "just" 3.9 kg (including the 8-cell 82 Wh battery). The cooling system also allows for a single graphics card with TDP up to 100W: Eurocom offers a choice between Nvidia GeForce GTX 965M, 970M and 980M, Quadro K1100M, K3100M and K5100M or AMD Radeon R9 M290X. They are provided as an MXM 3.0b module and can be swapped.
In addition to the laptop's Full HD (TN or IPS panel can be chosel) display, users can connect up to 3 external monitors via an HDMI 2.0 and two DisplayPort 1.2 interfaces capable of Ultra HD (3840x2160 pixels) video output at 60 fps. There are also four USB 3.0 ports, an eSATA/USB 3.0 combo port, four separate audio jacks allowing for 7.1 audio output, a 6-in-1 card reader and a gigabit Ethernet port. Other specifications are as follows:
- RAM: four SO-DIMM slots (can be configured to 8, 16, 24 or 32 GB at 1600, 1866 or 2133 MHz)
- Storage: two M.2 slots (one PCIe capable), two SATA 2.5" bays (various SSD and HDD models offered), RAID 0/1/0+1/5/10 supported
- Wireless: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n or a/b/g/n/ac
- Security: fingerprint reader, TPM 2.0
- Operating system: Windows 7 (Home Premium or Professional) 64-bit, Windows 8.1 (standard or Pro) 64-bit
As with all Eurocom models, the price depends on the selected specifications. The most affordable configuration can be had for $1631 while a maxed-out model approaches $9000. The laptop can already be configured and purchased through Eurocom's site.