Notebookcheck
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 

Apple secures 80 percent of TSMC's 5 nm production capacity for the coming year

80 percent of TSMC 5 nm chips going to Apple in 2021
TSMC 5 nm chips
Apple's top supplier of chips for multiple purposes, TSMC, will reserve no less than 80 percent of its 5 nm production capacity to the tech giant headquartered in Cupertino. In addition to the existing chips, TSMC is also going to make the upcoming A15 Bionic that will power the upcoming iPhone 13 series.
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 

Although TSMC has already fired up its 3 nm production facility and is expected to implement GAAFET transistors on 2 nm nodes before the end of 2023, the main focus of the company now is the 5 nm technology. The gains of this process can easily be spotted in the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 and the Apple A14 Bionic processors, and demand for 5 nm chips can only rise in the coming year. Luckily for Apple, they managed to secure most of TSMC's 5 nm production capacity for 2021.

A recent report that comes from anonymous Taiwanese sources reveals that the Cupertino-based tech giant has managed to get a hold of no less than 80 percent of TSMC's 5 nm output for next year. The remaining 20 percent go to quite a few clients, such as Qualcomm, MediaTek, and Broadcom, as well as other less relevant brands.

The aforementioned sources also revealed that TSMC will push the lever to the maximum in the first quarter of 2021 when the production lines will hit a capacity of around 9,000 5 nm wafers per month. The list of 5 nm processors that Apple should release in 2021 includes the A14Z Bionic for next-gen iPad Pro tablets, the A14T Bionic for the redesigned iMac, as well as the A15 Bionic that is expected to power the upcoming iPhone 13 lineup.

As usual, we should take all the above with a grain of salt for now, because Apple has not confirmed anything yet. 

Buy the Apple iPad Pro 2018 (64 GB, Silver, renewed) on Amazon

Source(s)

Read all 1 comments / answer
static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 
Codrut Nistor
Codrut Nistor - Senior Tech Writer - 5435 articles published on Notebookcheck since 2013
In my early school days, I hated writing and having to make up stories. A decade later, I started to enjoy it. Since then, I published a few offline articles and then I moved to the online space, where I contributed to major websites that are still present online as of 2021 such as Softpedia, Brothersoft, Download3000, but I also wrote for multiple blogs that have disappeared over the years. I've been riding with the Notebookcheck crew since 2013 and I am not planning to leave it anytime soon. In love with good mechanical keyboards, vinyl and tape sound, but also smartphones, streaming services, and digital art.
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2020 12 > Apple secures 80 percent of TSMC's 5 nm production capacity for the coming year
Codrut Nistor, 2020-12-21 (Update: 2020-12-21)