Sony announces Android 11 upgrade plans: Only the Xperia 1 II will receive OS upgrade before 2021
Sony has presented its Android 11 upgrade plans, and few smartphones will be eligible for Google's new OS. According to a press release published by Sony Germany, these devices will begin to receive Android 11 from the following dates:
- Xperia 1 II - Rollout starting in December 2020
- Xperia 5 II - Rollout starting from the end of January 2021
- Xperia 10 II - Rollout starting from the end of January 2021
- Xperia 1 - Rollout starting in February 2021
- Xperia 5 - Rollout starting in February 2021
The same press release adds that the Xperia 1 II will receive a new camera feature, albeit only one. Specifically, Android 11 will introduce the functionality to shoot slow-motion videos in 4K HDR at up to 120 FPS.
Once again, Sony has abandoned the Xperia 10, Xperia 10 Plus, Xperia L3 and Xperia L4. The four devices remain stuck on Android 9.0 Pie, although Sony continues to sell them. Sony only released the Xperia L4 in February 2020, so that is exceptionally poor software support by the company. Additionally, only the Xperia 1 II will see Android 11 before 2021, which is not great.