MSI's new GS63VR/73VR Stealth Pro are the slimmest VR-ready gaming notebooks around
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! English native speakers welcome!
News Writer - Details here
The VR industry is on the rise and OEMs are fully aware of this, since they tend to launch more VR-oriented products these days. Even if the upcoming VR headsets will not require any separate devices to provide the necessary processing power, MSI is confident that there will still be more affordable VR headsets that need to be connected to a powerful processing unit. The Taiwanese company has the Stealth Pro notebook lineup dedicated to the VR craze. Last year, MSI launched the GS63VR 6RF with the GTX 1060, but apparently there’s always room for improvement, so now we get two new models – the GS63VR and the GS73VR with the GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5 (Max-Q) and TriDef VR compatibility.
Unfortunately, MSI does not mention which CPUs we can choose from for the new models, apart from the specification that these are the latest Intel 7th gen Core i7 processors. Looking at MSI's previous models, it's safe to assume that the new Stealth Pro laptops come with 45 W HQ processors. Moreover, these are marketed as the world’s slimmest and lightest VR-ready gaming laptops. On to the main features for each model.
The GS73VR 7 RG Stealth Pro is the 17.3-inch version that comes with 3 display options:
• Full HD (1920x1080), 120 Hz Refresh Rate and 3ms response time panel
• Full HD (1920x1080), IPS level panel
• UHD (3840x2160), IPS level panel, 100% Adobe RGB
The 15.6-inch GS63VR 7RG also comes with 3 display options:
• 15.6” FHD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz/3ms of 94% NTSC HDR wide-view display
• 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080), IPS level panel
• 15.6" UHD (3840x2160), IPS level panel
Both variants come standard with a wealth of features, including:
• Exclusive MSI Cooler Boost Trinity Technology for GPU and CPU
• 1 TB HDD + optional NVMe M.2 SSD PCIe Gen3 X4 up to 2200MB/s speed
• Up to 32 GB DDR4-2400 RAM
• ESS SABRE HiFi Audio DAC
• Nahimic 2+ 3D sound technology
• Elegant brushed aluminum chassis
• RGB Gaming Keyboard by Steelseries
• Exclusive Silver Lining Printed keys
• SteelSeries Engine 3 with GameSense
• Dragon Center with six performance presets
• SHIFT technology for dynamic overclocking / downclocking
• 1x Thunderbolt 3, 3x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0 ports + SD card reader
• 1x HDMI 2.0 and 1x mini DisplayPort 1.2
• 1x headphone out and 1x mic in
• Killer DoubleShot Pro with Smart Teaming and Killer Shield + Bluetooth 4.1
• Xsplit Gamecaster free premium license for 1 year
• WTFast free premium license for 2 months
The 17.3-inch model weighs 5.3 lbs, while the 15.6-inch one weighs 3.96 lbs. MSI did not provide any info on availability and pricing.