CES 2016 | Lenovo announces the Ideapad Y900 gaming laptop, Ideapad 710S, and Ideapad 700
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Especially English native speakers welcome!
News and Editorial Editor - Details here
The Ideapad Y900 wants to compete with gaming notebooks. For this purpose, it delivers a mechanical keyboard with multi color backlight. Actually, mechanical keyboards, which are appreciated for their precision and durability, are already rare in notebooks. Otherwise, the Y900 delivers the usual high-end performance of its category. Primarily, an Nvidia GTX 980M with optionally 4 GB or 8 GB GDDR5 VRAM ensures this.
You can choose from either a 17.3 inch IPS display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels or an IPS display with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. In terms of processors, Lenovo uses Intel Core i chips of the 6th generation up to an overclockable Intel Core i7 with four cores. The Y900 supports up to 64 GB of DDR4 RAM, which might be an overkill for almost all uses, but shows what is technically possible in the meanwhile.
Lenovo incorporates a combination from an SSD up to 512 GB and a hard drive with a capacity of up to 1 TB. Apart from stereo speakers, a subwoofer is also on board. While the performance is high, the battery life is only up to five hours. Apart from three USB 3.0 ports and a USB 2.0 port, the device also provides Thunderbolt, Display Port and a USB Type-C port. HDMI 2.0, a card reader and an SPDIF out are also available. The Ideapad Y900 will be available for 2000 US dollar in June 2016.
- Windows 10 Home
- UP to Intel 6th Gen Quad Core i7 over clockable CPU
- 17.3” 16:9 FHD (1920x1080) IPS Anti-glare
- Dimensions: 425.4mm x 15.2mm x < 35.9mm
- NVIDIA GTX-980M 4G/8G GDDR5 PCI-Express discrete graphics
- Up to 64GB DDR4 memory (4 x SO-DIMM)
- Up to 512GB SSD PCIe (RAID 0), Up to 1TB HDD SATA 3
- Camera: 720p with internal digital array microphones
- 2 x 2.0w JBL speakers and 3.0w subwoofer w/ Dolby® Home Theater®
- Battery: Up to 5 hours (Li-Polymer, 6 cell, 90Wh)
- Ports: 3 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0 w/always on charging, 1 x USB Type C (supports USB 3.1, Display Port, Thunderbolt), Audio Jack, Mic Jack, HDMI 2.0, 4-in-1 card reader, SPDIF, Display Port)
- Mechanical keyboard with programmable color backlighting
- Colorful highlighted touchpad
The Ideapad 700S is a light and slim notebook with a height of half an inch and a weight of 1.18 kg. The 13.3 inch display features a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels - and a 5 mm thin frame. Intel Core i processors up to Intel Core i7 can be selected. SSDs up to 256 GB are incorporated. The DDR3 RAM capacity is up to 8 GB. However, you have to do without dedicated graphics card. In return, you will get an optional Intel Iris GFX.
In terms of connectivity, the device comes with two USB 3.0 ports and a micro HDMI out. In addition, there is a card reader. The Ideapad 710S will available from 800 US dollar in July 2016.
- Windows 10 Home
- Up to 6th gen Intel Core i7 CPU
- Up to 256GB PCIe SSD storage
- Up to 8GB LP-DDR3 memory
- Up to 8 hours’ battery life*
- Optional Intel Iris GFX
- USB 3.0 & Micro HDMI connectors
- JBL stereo speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
- Ports: 2 x USB 3.0, one always on-charging, 4-in-1 card reader, Audio Combo Jack, Micro HDMI-out
- Up to Intel 2 x 2 Wi-Fi 802.11 A/C + Bluetooth 4.0
The Ideapad 700 is a notebook with cutting-edge technology in 15.6 inch and 17.3 inch. Both models come with a Full HD display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. The hardware is slightly more powerful than the Ideapad 700S's. For example, the dedicated Nvidia GeForce 950M with 4 GB VRAM and the 940M with 4 GB VRAM are available. Intel processors up to Intel Core i7 SV make for performance.
In terms of RAM, Lenovo takes a step forward and offers up to 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. As hard drive, you can select between mechanical hard drives or an SSHD with up to 1 TB. In addition, you might choose a 128 GB or 256 GB PCIe SSD. Apart from two USB 3.0 ports, a card reader and a micro HDMI out are provided. According to the manufacturer, the battery life is up to four hours. Regardless how you look at it, this is a bit short. Nevertheless, we are looking forward to reviewing the Ideapad 700. It will be available from 800 US dollar in June 2016.
- Windows 10 Home
- Up to 6th gen Intel® Core™ i7 SV processor
- Up to 16GB DDR4 memory
- Up to 1TB HDD or 1TB SSHD storage
- 128/256GB PCIe SSD
- 15.6”: Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GT X950M 4GB graphics 17.3”: Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GT X940M 4GB graphics
- Optional JBL stereo speakers with Dolby Home Theatre
- 4-in-1 card reader (SD,SDHC, SDXC, MMC)
- Up to 4 hrs. battery life
- 15.6”: 0.89-inches, 5.1LBS ; 17.3”: 0.98-inches, 5.9LBS
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros