Dubious yet highly-detailed new leak hints at Kirin 980-powered tablets
The editor in chief of XDA, Mishaal Rahman, has posted a thread on Twitter starting with the phrase: "Upcoming Huawei/Honor Kirin 980 flagship devices". What follows is a list of model numbers associated with a raft of specs, including their screen sizes. As some allegedly measure 6.27 or 6.39 inches, it may be reasonable to assume that they are phones. However, three others are associated with screen sizes of between 8.4 and 10.7 inches.
Therefore, it appears Rahman has secured leaks on upcoming premium devices from the brands Honor or Huawei, some of which are tablets. On the other hand, the editor himself also admits that "all the info was mined from [a source]" that he could not disclose, and, furthermore, that he may have misinterpreted some of what was said on this subject.
Taking Rahman's new leak as read, it gives details on a total of 7 putative model numbers: SEA; YAL; YALZX; SCM; RSN, & VRD. The last 3 of these are the apparent new tablets. They are linked to battery, camera and screen-size specs, although these details are incomplete in some cases. The "new devices" are spec'd as follows:
- RSN-AL00/W09: 8.4" 1600x2560; 4200mAh; ?
- SCM-AL09/W09/Z00: 10.7" 1600x2560; 7500mAh; S5K3L6/OV13855 (13MP), HI846/S5K4H7 (8MP)
- SEA-AL10/TL10: 6.39" 1080x2340; 3500mAh; IMX576 (25MP), IMX380 (12.3MP), IMX586 (48MP), IMX316 (TOF)
- VRD-AL09/W09/X9/Z00: 8.4" 1600x2560 4200mAh; S5K3L6/OV13855 (13MP), HI846/S5K4H7 (8MP)
- YAL-AL00/LX1/TL00: 6.26" 1080x2340; 3750mAh; IMX576 (25MP), IMX616 (32MP), IMX582 (48MP), IMX586 (48MP), IMX481/OV16885 (16MP), GC2375/OV02A10 (2MP)
- YALZX-AL10/LX1: ?; 4000mAh; IMX616 (32MP), IMX586(48MP), IMX481/OV16885 (16MP), GC2375/OV02A10 (2MP)
Based on this, one or two have the makings of impressive flagships - especially YAL, with its listed total of 7 camera modules. None of them match up to the specs of existing Kirin 980 devices; therefore, (particularly given the existence of relatively new Sony IMX 48MP sensors that are not found even in the P30 line) they just may be upcoming flagships.
In fact, YAL and YALZX's 'specs' dovetail nicely with pre-existing rumors concerning the imminent Honor 20 series. On the other hand, the existence of 2 different top-end camera sensors on either of these phones is less than likely. Then again, there is an outside chance that these specs refer to new foldables that are to come after the Mate X at some point.