Dell XPS 15 9570 issues still cause of concern for owners
Dell came up with a lot of new products at CES, but some fans are still waiting for something: the Dell XPS 15 9580, apparently what would be the direct successor of the existing XPS 15 9570. In the past, Frank Azor claimed that such a product is not in the pipeline yet. Recently, he did that once again.
When asked to provide "more details for the XPS 15 9580," Frank Azor tweeted back "No such product exists at this time" and nothing more. However, a Dell XPS 15 9570 user bounced back with a list of issues affecting the XPS 15 9570 that the company should solve first. This is his message: "Good. Because you have other things to do first. Fix DPC latency on the 9570. Fix dGPU throttle at 48°C and 74°C. Fix/update Realtek audio drivers. Fix coil whine for ALL XPS lines. Make the fan curve finally acceptable and fix it's annoying bugs 1 sec spins). Have better QC."
Looking back, we can easily discover that the issues mentioned above are not isolated, although the better quality control part is quite subjective, since many of those using Dell hardware are rather demanding professionals. This is a quick roundup of the problems, as revealed by our articles and other sources:
- In early November, multiple Dell XPS 15 9570 users were complaining about a dGPU throttle problem; Dell denied its existence later that month, but confirmed in mid-December that it would be fixed by the end of the year.
- Frank Azor confirmed that Dell was working on fixing the DPC latency problem back in late November, apparently the problem still has not been entirely ironed out.
- The Dell Community website contains quite a few topics regarding the coil whine problem (XPS 15 9560 (1), (2), XPS 13 with Kaby Lake, XPS 15 9550).
- The extreme fan noise issue reported here on the aforementioned website turned into a very interesting 4-page discussion.
- Finally, the Realtek audio drivers should be fixed by them and not by Dell — or maybe Dell is waiting for some input from Realtek that still needs to come.
These being said, we need to wait and see what happens next. Sooner or later, the Dell XPS 15 9580 will arrive in one form or another. In the worst-case scenario, it will carry another name. However, it would be great for Dell to solve all the problems still troubling the users of the XPS 15 9570.
As usual, feel free to drop your thoughts in the comments section below.
Frank Azor (on Twitter)
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros