April Fools' Day 2019: World of Tanks 0.7.0 goes live once again
Since World of Warcraft will get a Classic version, the idea of seeing a World of Tanks Classic server coming out does not sound that bad. After all, there are many veterans of this massive multiplayer vehicular combat game that would like to go back to 2011. Although this is definitely not happening for the main server, Wargaming has decided to bring back the update 0.7.0 for a few days as a test server — more like an April Fools' Day prank than a serious release.
Without further ado, here are the highlights of World of Tanks 0.7.0 — some of them still haunting the veterans who had to endure them for months back in the day:
- Three tech trees (Germany, USA, USSR) and the fearsome Chinese Type 59.
- No arty stun, more than three arties per team, no Sixth Sense perk, and quite primitive physics (no flips, no jumps, destroyed vehicles cannot be moved).
- Premium ammo and consumables are only available for gold.
- As you can see in the screenshots, the research costs are much lower now.
- A different graphics engine, as well as more primitive sounds/music, and a less refined interface.
Those who will take the trip down the memory lane and join World of Tanks Classic until April 3 will receive a unique style with an inscription and an emblem on the main server. Obviously, the experience and credits earned in World of Tanks Classic will not be moved to the main server.
After only four battles in World of Tanks Classic, I must say that this April Fools' Day special is definitely worth checking out, especially by those who were not playing this title back in 2011. Unfortunately, the server seems to be quite busy and limited to around 50,000 players, so logging in and being able to start a battle might take a while.
As usual, feel free to share your thoughts with us in the comments section. Were you able to play World of Tanks 0.7.0 back in 2011 and/or now? What parts should have been kept in the game? Would you like to see the tech trees from the main server taken back to a 0.7.0-like World of Tanks Classic server?
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Indian citizens welcome!
News and Editorial Editor - Details here