Notebookcheck

Android market share rising at the expense of iOS

Android market share rising at the expense of iOS
Android market share rising at the expense of iOS
Android has been chipping away at iOS in terms of smartphone activations as Apple fans patiently wait for the megaton iPhone refresh coming towards the end of the year.

Analytics firm Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) has just published data on the US mobile market revealing the market shares of the popular operating systems. Accordingly, both Google Android and Apple iOS collectively command about 98 percent of the mobile market in the US as of Q2 2017. The small 2 percent slice is made up of Windows phones and basic entry-level "dumb phones" sold at very low prices.

Android, however, has been steadily eating away at iOS from a 63 percent market share in Q2 2016 to 67 percent in Q2 2017. When looking quarter to quarter, Apple has fallen from 38 percent in Q1 2017 to 31 percent in Q2 2017 to represent a 7 percent loss to Android in a span of just three months. The sharp dip may be attributed to both the post-Holiday shopping decline and the fact that most Apple fans may be simply waiting for the inevitable iPhone 7 successor later this year. In the meantime, a handful of flagship 2017 Android smartphones have already launched to fill in the gap including the LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S8, Sony Xperia XZ Premium, and the Xiaomi Mi6.

As for the most popular smartphone brands, Samsung has been trading with Apple back and forth quarter after quarter for the top spot. This latest Q2 2017 period sees Samsung ahead of Apple at 42 percent and 31 percent, respectively, with LG far behind at 16 percent. Together, these three brands make up 89 percent of all smartphones activations with the remaining 11 percent belonging to HTC, Motorola, and "others".

Source(s)

static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2017 07 > Android market share rising at the expense of iOS
Allen Ngo, 2017-07-21 (Update: 2017-07-21)
Allen Ngo
Allen Ngo - US Editor in Chief
After graduating with a B.S. in environmental hydrodynamics from the University of California, I studied reactor physics to become licensed by the U.S. NRC to operate nuclear reactors. There's a striking level of appreciation you gain for everyday consumer electronics after working with modern nuclear reactivity systems astonishingly powered by computers from the 80s. When I'm not managing day-to-day activities and US review articles on Notebookcheck, you can catch me following the eSports scene and the latest gaming news.