Notebookcheck
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 

AMD processor usage reaches new levels of popularity in Steam hardware survey as gaming laptops with Ryzen 5000 APUs are just around the corner

Vermeer Ryzen 5000 desktop CPUs were launched in November 2020. (Image source: AMD)
Vermeer Ryzen 5000 desktop CPUs were launched in November 2020. (Image source: AMD)
The November 2020 Steam Hardware & Software Survey shows AMD reaching a new level of popularity in regard to processor usage. Team Red’s latest share was recorded as 26.91%, and with numerous Ryzen 5000 gaming laptops already coming out of the woodwork, it seems the upward trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

Working For Notebookcheck

Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! English native speakers welcome!

News Writer - Details here

AMD actually managed to exceed a quarter of the total processor usage share for respondents to Steam’s Hardware & Software Survey in September, and the latest figure for the company now stands at a healthy 26.91%. This leaves Intel with the remaining 73.09%, which is a considerable drop from when Team Blue commanded 82% of the processor usage share barely a year ago.

In terms of operating system share, AMD has also made gains, especially with Linux users. In July, figures for Linux stood at 69.06% with Intel chips and 30.94% with AMD parts. The figures for November were 67.33% and 32.67%, respectively, with AMD gaining +0.94% for the month. As for Windows users, AMD charmed an additional +0.72% of those since the previous month’s results, leaving the totals on 73.49% (Intel) and 26.51% (AMD).

These growing trends for AMD seem likely to continue. The Vermeer Ryzen 5000 desktop CPU parts have only been available for a short while and have usually been close to impossible to source, so it’s unlikely they will have made much impression on the survey yet. Details of gaming laptops featuring Cezanne (Zen 3) and Lucienne (Zen 2) Ryzen 5000 APUs have also started leaking online, and with some devices offering a dGPU from Nvidia’s latest GeForce 30 series as well, they will almost certainly have a positive effect for AMD in future Steam surveys.

Buy the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X on Amazon

, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 
Processor usage chart for November 2020. (Image source: Steam)
Processor usage chart for November 2020. (Image source: Steam)

Source(s)

Read all 2 comments / answer
static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
Daniel R Deakin
Daniel R Deakin - Managing Editor News - 2415 articles published on Notebookcheck since 2012
My interest in technology began after I was presented with an Atari 800XL home computer in the mid-1980s. I especially enjoy writing about technological advances, compelling rumors, and intriguing tech-related leaks. I have a degree in International Relations and Strategic Studies and count my family, reading, writing, and travel as the main passions of my life. I have been with Notebookcheck since 2012.
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2020 12 > AMD processor usage reaches new levels of popularity in Steam hardware survey as gaming laptops with Ryzen 5000 APUs are just around the corner
Daniel R Deakin, 2020-12-21 (Update: 2020-12-21)