AMD launches Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1
AMD today released an update to its Radeon Software Crimson Driver, dubbing the new version (16.12.1) "ReLive." The new driver update brings some bug fixes and graphics card optimizations; the key addition, however, is the new gameplay capture and streaming feature.
The new ReLive recording software allows users to record gameplay, take screenshots, and even stream footage directly to Twitch, YouTube, and other compatible services. The driver also includes an "Instant Replay" feature which stores up to 20 minutes of gameplay or desktop use on a buffer and allows users to keep footage without actively recording. The ReLive software seems to be AMD's answer to Nvidia's Shadowplay recording software.
Also included in the update are features like Radeon Chill (which "dynamically regulates frame rate based on... in-game movements" to reduce power draw and keep temperatures under control) and increased Radeon WattMan support to allow easier overclocking for more AMD GPUs.
This driver isn't limited to consumer GPUs; AMD's line of Radeon Pro professional graphics cards will also get the update. This includes the ReLive recording software, which can be used to record either gameplay or the user's desktop.
A full list of features and download links for this driver can be found here.
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Release Notes
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition is AMD’s advanced graphics software for enabling high-performance gaming and engaging VR experiences. Create, capture, and share your remarkable moments. Effortlessly boost performance and efficiency. Experience Radeon Software with industry-leading user satisfaction, rigorously-tested stability, comprehensive certification, and more.
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Highlights
- Radeon ReLive(1): Capture, stream and share your greatest moments and gaming wins on your computer system with Radeon ReLive. Modify settings quickly, conveniently, and play seamlessly with the easily accessible in-game toolbar. Express yourself in bold new ways with custom scene layouts. Upload your latest highlights and let them be a conversation piece. It's never been easier to build and grow your online community at anytime, anywhere.
- Radeon Chill(2): A power-saving feature that dynamically regulates frame rate based on your in-game movements. Radeon Chill can improve power efficiency and can lower temperatures for supported products and games when enabled through Radeon Settings.
- Radeon WattMan(3): Added support for AMD Radeon R9 Fury series, R9 390 series, R9 380 series, R9 290 series, R9 285, R9 260 series, R7 360, and R7 260 desktop graphics products
- Radeon Software Installer(4): New user interface and intuitive Radeon Software Installer that includes options for express install, custom install and clean uninstall. The new installer will also show options for the latest available driver for your system configuration during the install process.
- Display Connectivity(5): New advanced display settings and diagnostics page within Radeon Settings with better detection for HDMI® cable issues and fallback for end users experiencing display issues.
- AMD FreeSync™ Technology(6): Now supports Borderless Fullscreen Mode for applications and gaming with AMD FreeSync™ technology displays and supported products. Now supports Gradual Refresh Rate Ramp for mobile configurations with AMD FreeSync™ technology displays and supported products.
- Upgrade Advisor(7): Provides a system requirement evaluation for Steam® games in your Radeon Settings library.
- HDR Gaming Support(8): Experience the benefits of HDR gaming with Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition. Support for games with HDR 10 or Dolby Vision™ capabilities.
- VP9 Decode Acceleration(9): 4K 60Hz GPU-Accelerated Video Streaming enabled on supported Google™ Chrome web browsers.
- Skype Performance Enhancements (10): Lower CPU usage during Skype™ calls for select AMD APU Family products.
- User Feedback Page: The User Feedback Page enables a direct link for end users to the Radeon Software Team and allows users to provide feedback and vote on upcoming features for Radeon Software. The User Feedback page can be found here.
- Unable to launch the Problem Report Wizard from CCCSlim in Radeon Settings.
- Radeon WattMan Power Limit setting may not retain after hitting apply when Auto Temperature is enabled.
- DOTA™ may experience flickering in some hero and effect models when running the application in Fullscreen.
- Pixel Format options may not appear in Radeon Settings on some 4K TV's with Radeon RX 480.
- The Division™ may experience flicker during gameplay when using AMD Multi GPU configurations.
- The Division™ may experience an application freeze or hang when running in AMD Multi GPU configurations after extended periods of play.
- Game quality or performance may be degraded when launching multimedia content on a secondary display before running a game.
- CIM folder retains under program files even after complete driver uninstallation.
- Radeon Settings may experience an intermittent crash when accessing Radeon WattMan.
- Display tab with virtual super resolution may be removed or missing in Radeon Settings.
- The Radeon WattMan feature may intermittently display a Radeon Software popup error regarding Radeon WattMan for non-supported products.
- Random crashes may be experienced on Mozilla Firefox.
- DirectX®12 content may be unable to launch on some older CPUs that do not support popcnt instruction.
- Intermittent Mouse Cursor corruption may be experienced on Radeon RX 480.
- AMD FreeSync™ technology may experience performance issues with Borderless Fullscreen application support when a secondary display is attached and has dynamic content running such as video playback in a web browser or if other applications or game launchers are running on the primary screen in the background. A workaround if this issue is experienced is to minimize all other running applications that are on the primary desktop display or on non-primary extended displays.
- Counter-Strike™: Global Offensive and World of Warcraft™ may experience flickering or performance issues the first time the game is launched on a system boot with AMD FreeSync™ technology enabled. Workarounds include exiting and restarting the application or task switching (alt+tab) in and out of the game to fix the issue.
- AMD Multi GPU configurations may experience a system hang or reboot during install when using tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.
- Titanfall™2 may experience black square corruption in game menus or during game play on some Graphics Core Next products.
- FIFA 17™ may experience an application hang or black screen on launch for some select Hybrid Graphics or AMD PowerXpress mobile configurations.
Known Issues for Radeon ReLive
- The XBOX™ DVR application may cause conflicts with Radeon ReLive, users are suggested to disable XBOX™ DVR if Radeon ReLive is experiencing issues.
- Radeon ReLive may fail to install on AMD APU Family products or experience a system hang or failure to record when using the recording feature on AMD APU Family products.
- Radeon ReLive may experience recording issues or issues toggling the Overlay/Toolbar when Frame Rate Target Control is enabled. Users are suggested to disable Frame Rate Target Control when using Radeon ReLive.
- Battlefield™1 may experience UI flickering and/or performance drops when recording gameplay with Radeon ReLive on graphics products with 4GB or less of VRAM.
- DOTA™2 may experience game corruption when performing a task switch while recording with Radeon ReLive in AMD Multi GPU configurations.
- Radeon ReLive recordings may experience flicker when creating a single recording for many hours.
- Radeon ReLive may experience minor graphical corruption for the first few recorded frames when launching UWP applications.
- In AMD Multi GPU configurations the secondary graphics product will exit BACO when Radeon ReLive is enabled.
- Radeon ReLive will not allow recording settings to change with Instant Replay enabled. A workaround is to disable Instant Replay and change settings then enable Instant Replay.
- Radeon ReLive Overlay/Toolbar will not launch or Record when running League of Legends™ in Administrator Mode and Windowed Borderless Fullscreen. A work around would be to not use administrator launch privileges or to use Fullscreen mode.
- Mouse cursor may stutter in recorded video when there is limited on screen activity outside of minor mouse movement.
- Vulkan™ applications may experience a game hang when using Radeon ReLive to record.
- Radeon ReLive will not notify an end user of low disk space during recording.
(1) Compatible with desktop discrete AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 Series enabled products with at least 2GB of VRAM, AMD VCE Support and Windows® 7/8.1/10 64 bit operating systems. Radeon ReLive is currently considered "as-is" beta level support for 32 bit operating systems.
(2) Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 series enabled products in specified AMD supported titles and applications with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Power saving and temperature reduction results may vary based on system configurations.
(3) Compatible with desktop discrete GPU AMD Radeon™R9 Fury series, R9 390 series, R9 380 series, R9 290 series, R9 285, R9 260 series, R7 360, and R7 260 products with Windows® 7/8.1/10.
(4) Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 Series enabled products with Windows® 7/8.1/10.
(5) Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 Series enabled products with Windows®7/8.1/10.
(6) Compatible with AMD Radeon™ R9 285, 290, 290X, 380, 390, 390X, R7 260, 260X, 360, R9 Fury series, and Radeon RX 400 series products with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Requires an AMD FreeSync™ technology certified capable display and AMD graphics product.
(7) Compatible with AMD Radeon™ R9 285, 290, 290X, 380, 390, 390X, R7 260, 260X, 360, R9 Fury series, and Radeon RX 400 series products with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Feature is not available worldwide and may not be available in your country or area.
(8) Compatible with desktop AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury series, R9 380, R9 390 series, and Radeon RX 400 series products with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Requires an HDR capable display and game content.
(9) Requires supported Chrome™ web browser versions with Hardware Acceleration enabled. Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 series enabled products on Windows® 7/8.1/10.
(10) Compatible with AMD Bristol, Carrizo and Stoney AMD Family APUs with Windows® 7/8.1/10 and supported Skype™ application.
The Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 installation package contains the following:
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver Version 16.50.2001
The Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 installation package can be downloaded from the following links:
By clicking the Download button at the link, you are confirming that you have read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement (“EULA”) linked to this note for use of AMD Proprietary drivers provided by this download. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of these licenses, you do not have a license to any of the AMD software provided by this download.
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver for Windows® 10 32-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver for Windows® 8.1 64-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver for Windows® 8.1 32-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver for Windows® 7 64-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver w/o .Net for Windows® 7 64-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver for Windows® 7 32-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Driver w/o .Net for Windows® 7 32-bit
Installing Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1
For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition, please refer to the following support resources:
- How To Uninstall Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition on a Windows® Based System
- How To Install Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition on a Windows® Based System
This driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.
When installing Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 for the Windows® operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator, or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1.
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to be installed.
Radeon Product Compatibility
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.
Note that AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury, Radeon™ Pro Duo, and Radeon™ RX 400 Series graphics are only supported by Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition on Windows 7/8.1/10 64-bit.
|Radeon Desktop Product Family Compatibility |
|Radeon™ RX 400 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo||AMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R5 300 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R5 200 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 8500 - HD 8900 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics|
Mobility Radeon™ Family Compatibility
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 is a notebook reference graphics driver with limited support for system vendor specific features.
|Radeon Mobility Product Family Compatibility |
|AMD Radeon™ R9 M300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R7 M200 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R7 M300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R5 M300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 8500M - HD 8900M Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 M200 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 7700M - HD 7900M Series Graphics|
AMD APU Product Family Compatibility
AMD APU products codenamed "Kaveri", "Godavari" and "Carrizo" are only supported by AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition on Windows® 7 (32 & 64-bit), Windows® 8.1 (64-bit) and Windows® 10 (64-bit).
AMD’s 7th Generation APU products Radeon™ Graphics are only supported by AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition on Windows® 7 (32 & 64-bit) and Windows® 10 (64-bit).
|AMD APU Product Family Compatibility|
|AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R4, R5, R6, or R7 Graphics||AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, or R8 Graphics|
|AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5 or R7 Graphics||AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5, R6, or R7 Graphics|
|AMD Athlon™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics||AMD FX-Series APUs with Radeon™ R7 Graphics|
|AMD Sempron™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics||AMD E-Series APUs with Radeon™ R2 Graphics|
|||AMD Radeon™ HD 8180 - HD 8400 Series Graphics|
Compatible Operating Systems
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 is designed to support the following Microsoft® Windows® platforms. Operating System support may vary depending on your specific AMD Radeon product.
- Windows® 10 (32 & 64-bit version)
- Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit version)
- Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)
AMD Issue Reporting Form
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Issue Reporting Form. To provide us with your feedback, visit the AMD Issue Reporting Form.
- AMD announces Radeon Pro Duo dual GPU for professionals News @ 04/25/2017
- AMD revenue up 7 percent YoY with significantly reduced operating losses News @ 02/03/2017
- CES 2017 | AMD teases Avalon mini PC VR backpack powered by two Li-ion battery packs News @ 01/08/2017
- AMD Polaris 12 references spotted in latest Linux drivers News @ 12/23/2016
- New AMD drivers hint at more Polaris GPUs to come News @ 12/13/2016
- Intel may have just signed deal with AMD for licensing AMD graphics tech News @ 12/07/2016
- AMD RX 490 could be launching earlier than expected News @ 11/28/2016
- AMD announces availability of Radeon Pro WX series graphics cards News @ 11/07/2016
- AMD announces Radeon Pro graphics for Ultrabooks News @ 11/03/2016
- AMD announces new Zen architecture for a launch by Holiday 2016 News @ 08/22/2016