Xiaomi unveils MIUI 6 Android UI
Xiaomi announced the Mi 4 smartphone last month and promised the handset will ship loaded with the MIUI v6 firmware. Yesterday, the Chinese company unveiled MIUI 6 during a special event that took place in Beijing. This new custom Android interface comes with a rich set of new features, as well as a major design refresh.
Xiaomi is often referred to as "China's Apple" and from the looks of MIUI 6 it is clear that Apple's iOS 7 was a major source of inspiration for a lot of its design changes. Advertised as "the best MIUI ever," MIUI 6 includes the following:
- The ability to identify, mark and block unwanted calls, all assorted with detailed options
- New global operation gestures, optimized for large-screen devices
- Brand new Notification Shade and improved Notification Center
- More than 5,000 themes
- New Linux kernel and memory optimization techniques
- Global search that can locate apps and can be placed anywhere on the Home screen
- New power-saving features with adjustable standby time
MIUI 6 is currently being tested by 1,000 users and the number of testers will jump to 10,000 this Friday. The developer build will be ready in early September, while the final firmware release is expected for October.