Xiaomi teaches its Chinese fans how to switch off adverts in MIUI 11 and MIUI 12
Xiaomi continues to bake adverts into MIUI, but now the company is actively informing its fans how to disable them. The advice has been posted for users of Weibo, but we have not noticed Xiaomi publishing any equivalent tips on any of its other social media channels. According to a re-posting of the advice, one can disable ads in MIUI with the following steps:
- Say “Close system advertisement” to Xiao Ai
- Search “Advertising Service” in the settings and select Close
- App Store -> My -> Settings -> Recommend
- Weather -> Settings -> User Experience Plan -> There are three items that you can fully close
- Calendar -> Find three points -> Settings -> User Experience Plan -> Content Promotion
- Browser -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Personalized Recommendation
Ultimately, we fail to see why Xiaomi would enable these advertising services only to inform its users how to disable them. Doing so would seem counter-intuitive, but at least the advice has now been published on official channels.
Come to think of it, it would be better if Xiaomi removed these advertising services from MIUI altogether. However, the rise of baked-in advertising in Android skins like One UI suggests that this sadly will not be the case.