LineageOS 18.1 based on Android 11 goes live for 70 devices
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! English native speakers welcome!
News Writer - Details here
Google released Android 11 in August 2020, albeit only to its Pixel smartphones. Android OEMs like Samsung, OnePlus and Xiaomi have followed suit, as has the LineageOS team. According to a blog post, LineageOS 18.1 is available on 70 devices, including older ones like the LG V20 and the OnePlus 3. Neither of these devices will ever receive Android 11 officially, nor the Razer Phone, so LineageOS 18.1 is a great alternative to outdated OEM software.
Lineage has based LineageOS 18.1 on the December Android Security Bulletin and has included the following features compared to LineageOS 17.1:`
- Security patches from April 2020 to March 2021 have been merged to LineageOS 15.1 through 18.1.
- 18.1 builds are currently based on the android-11.0.0_r32 tag, which is the Pixel series unified tag.
- Wi-Fi display is available for newer Qualcomm devices, on a device-by-device basis.
- WebView has been updated to Chromium 89.0.4389.105.
- Our Recorder app has been vastly improved in more ways than can be counted, go leave yourself a voice-memo so you don’t forget that great idea!
- Screen recording has been moved to a QS tile to match AOSP’s behavior.
- The user interface has been revamped and there’s also now a UI for easily viewing, managing, and sharing your voice notes.
- It’s now possible to choose the quality of your audio recordings to save space.
- It’s now possible to pause and resume recordings.
- The FOSS Etar app has been forked, improved, and shipped in place of the stagnant and largely unmaintained AOSP calendar.
- The Calyx institute’s FOSS Seedvault application has been included as a built-in backup solution.
- To use it, navigate to Settings -> System -> Backup, and “Change backup provider” to Seedvault. You can then click “Seedvault Backup” to configure, schedule, and encrypt backups!
- Backups created with Seedvault can be uploaded on your Nextcloud instance, an external USB drive or kept on your local storage.
- There is now an option on non-A/B devices to update the recovery image alongside the OS, just as the stock OS would!
- To use this, either enable the option during the initial device setup or navigate to Settings -> System -> (Show More) Updater -> Three Dot Menu in the top right -> and check “Update recovery alongside OS”.
- Our music app, Eleven now has a more up-to-date UI and integrates nicely with all the new android features for music players such as seeking from the notification.
- All LineageOS apps now have support for dark mode.
- (17.1 too) Our recovery now has a new, colorful, and fun UI that is much more accessible.
- (17.1 too) The firewall can block all connections now by making apps think that the device is in airplane mode.
- (17.1 too) We’ve introduced a new expandable volume dialog UI that allows you to control multiple volume streams more easily.
- (17.1 too) The partial screenshot feature has been improved with a new UI that’s easier to use. On 18.1 it also integrates nicely with the new Android’s “instant screenshot”. Long press the screenshot button in the power menu and give it a try!
- (17.1 too) Trebuchet now supports icon packs.
- (17.1 too) ADB root was reworked to ensure compatibility with other 3rd party root solutions.
While it is early days for LineageOS 18.1, Lineage has already released its new OS to 70 devices. We have included the devices that Lineage has brought onto LineageOS 18.1, but we would recommend heading to its blog post for download links and installation instructions for your model.
Lineage notes that you need not necessarily wipe your device when upgrading to LineageOS 18.1 if it is already running an official build. You must do so if you are currently using an unofficial LineageOS build, though. Lineage hopes to bring LineageOS 18.1 to more devices too, although it has not outlined which are in the pipeline to receive its latest OS. The devices on which LineageOS 18.1 can be installed are as follows:
|Google Nexus 6||shamu|
|Google Nexus 7 2013 (Wi-Fi, Repartitioned)||flox|
|Google Pixel 2||walleye|
|Google Pixel 2 XL||taimen|
|Google Pixel 3a||sargo|
|Google Pixel 3a XL||bonito|
|Google Pixel 4||flame|
|Google Pixel 4 XL||coral|
|Google Pixel 4a||sunfish|
|Google Pixel 4a 5G||bramble|
|Google Pixel 5||redfin|
|LeEco Le Max2||x2|
|LeEco Le Pro3 / Le Pro3 Elite||zl1|
|LG G2 (AT&T)||d800|
|LG G2 (Canadian)||d803|
|LG G2 (International)||d802|
|LG G2 (T-Mobile)||d801|
|LG G5 (International)||h850|
|LG G5 (T-Mobile)||h830|
|LG G5 (US Unlocked)||rs988|
|LG V20 (AT&T)||h910|
|LG V20 (Global)||h990|
|LG V20 (Sprint)||ls997|
|LG V20 (T-Mobile)||h918|
|LG V20 (US Unlocked)||us996|
|LG V20 (Verizon)||vs995|
|Motorola Moto G6 Plus||evert|
|Motorola Moto G7||river|
|Motorola Moto G7 Play||channel|
|Motorola Moto G7 Plus||lake|
|Motorola Moto G7 Power||ocean|
|Motorola Moto One Power||chef|
|Motorola Moto X4||payton|
|Motorola Moto Z2 Force||nash|
|Motorola Moto Z3 Play||beckham|
|Nokia 6.1 (2018)||PL2|
|OnePlus 3 / 3T||oneplus3|
|OnePlus 8 Pro||instantnoodlep|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505/G, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919)||jfltexx|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)||jfltevzw|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-R970, SPH-L720)||jfltespr|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)||jflteatt|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 Active||jactivelte|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition (GT-I9515/L)||jfvelte|
|Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (Wi-Fi)||gta4xlwifi|
|Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (LTE)||gts4lv|
|Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Wi-Fi)||gts4lvwifi|
|Sony Xperia 10||kirin|
|Sony Xperia 10 Plus||mermaid|
|Sony Xperia XA2||pioneer|
|Sony Xperia XA2 Plus||voyager|
|Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra||discovery|
|Xiaomi Mi 5||gemini|
|Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus||natrium|
|Xiaomi Mi 8||dipper|
|Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite||platina|
|Xiaomi Mi MIX||lithium|
|Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S||polaris|
|Xiaomi Mi Note 2||scorpio|
|Xiaomi Poco F1||beryllium|
|Xiaomi Redmi 7||onclite|