IFA 2014 | Huawei reveals Ascend Mate7 phablet
Huawei unveiled two large screen Android handsets at this year's IFA 2014 show in Berlin, both joining the Ascend family of devices - the Ascend Mate7 and the Ascend G7. The Ascend Mate7 features a powerful octa-core processor, a 6-inch Full HD display, a generous battery and Android KitKat with EMUI 3.0 on top.
These are the main specs and features of the new Huawei Ascend Mate7:
- Processor: HiSilicon Kirin 925
- Memory/Storage: 2 GB or 3 RAM; 16 GB or 32 GB internal storage, microSD support up to 32 GB
- Display: 6-inch IPS capacitive LCD with 1,080X1,920 pixels and 368 ppi
- Cameras: 5 MP front, 13 MP back with autofocus and LED flash
- Conectivity: 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n with hotspot and WiFi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0 LE with A2DP and EDR, NFC, micro USB 2.0, GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS
- Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat with Emotion 3.0 UI
- Weight/Dimensions: 0.40 pounds; 6.18X3.19X0.31 inches
- Battery: embedded Lithium-ion 4,100 mAh
According to the official press release, the Huawei Ascend Mate7 "is possibly the market's first 6-inch smartphone with instant single-touch fingerprint access to put an end to password fatigue." This method "enables users to unlock the phone at least 80% faster" than the traditional sweeping recognition variant.
The 2 GB RAM/16 GB storage version has a MSRP of 499 EUR ($645 USD), while the 3 GB RAM/32 GB storage variant will retail for 599 EUR ($775 USD). Both are expected to hit the market starting from Q3 2014 "in more than 30 countries/territories" but pricing and availability for the US have not been announced yet.