HP launches Z2 Mini G4 small form-factor workstations
Mini PCs were initially designed to integrate ultra-low voltage components that were optimized to run day-to-day and less demanding media applications. Over the years, as the miniaturization process evolved, manufacturers started squeezing more powerful components in small form-factor enclosures that now house gaming systems or even workstations that can easily compete with full size desktops. HP is one of the first OEMs to offer small form-factor workstation systems, releasing the first Z2 Mini series in 2016. Meanwhile, Intel released the 8th gen CPUs and HP is now offering refreshed specs for the Z2 Mini systems.
The 4th generation Z2 Mini workstations come encased in a 8.5 x 8.5 x 2.28 inches chassis that can accommodate Intel's 8000-series 4-core/6-core CPUs (Entry system), as well as the Xeon E 2100-series (Performance systems) for more advanced CAD applications. In order to run desktop-grade CPUs, HP included a custom micro-ITX Intel C246 motherboard that supports all current and future LGA1151 V2 processors, which can be coupled with up to 32 GB of DDR4 RAM. The Entry systems do not come with discrete GPUs, but users can choose among Nvidia’s Quadro P600/P100 and AMD’s Radeon Pro WX 4150 for the Performance systems.
The complete list of features includes:
• storage combos: up to 1 TB NVMe SSDs, Intel Optane memory, up to 1 TB SATA HDDs
• Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 5.0 + GbE NIC & jack
• video outputs: 2x DisplayPort 1.2 (Entry systems) or 3x DisplayPort 1.2 (Performance systems)
• connectors: 2x USB-A 3.0, 2x USB-C 3.1, audio in/out + integrated speaker
• 135 W – 310 W external PSU, depending on system type
• MS Windows 10 Pro or Linux OS
• Sure Start + Sure Run technologies for critical process protection against malware
HP will begin shipping the Entry systems later this month for US$799 and up. The Performance systems will be available at a later date for a currently undisclosed starting price.
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Indian citizens welcome!
News and Editorial Editor - Details here
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros