Garmin Forerunner 255 and Forerunner 255S series smartwatches receive first beta build with bug fixes, improvements and new features
Garmin has released Beta version 12.20 for the Forerunner 255 series, over two months after the Forerunner 255 and Forerunner 255S debuted globally. To recap, the Forerunner 255 series comes in two sizes and offers up to 14 days of battery life in smartwatch mode, twice what any Forerunner 245 smartwatch achieves. Also, while the Forerunner 255 and Forerunner 255S retail for US$349.99, the Forerunner 255 Music and Forerunner 255S Music cost US$50 more at US$399.99.
Incidentally, the same beta build number that the company distributed for the Forerunner 955 series. While the pair have received the same beta build version number, Garmin has included different changes for the Forerunner 255 series than it bundled in Beta version 12.20 for the Forerunner 955 series. Specifically, the changelog for the Forerunner 255 series' Beta version 12.20 update is as follows:
- Added support for SatIQ.
- Added support for selecting a PacePro plan for a race.
- Added support for showing an elevation graph for cycling events with a course file.
- Added support for setting sleep/wake times on device.
- Added support for displaying step streaks on the weekly steps graph.
- Improved the calculation of the workout execution score to consider skipped steps.
- Improved daily suggested workout suggestions.
- Improved the VO2 max. graph to display the last 4 weeks rather than 7 days.
- Fixed some issues that could cause training status to fail to display for some users.
- Fixed numerous issues related to the morning report.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the device to crash during an activity.
- Fixed an issue where setting the backlight to be enabled after sunset could cause the device to crash on a button press.
- Fixed an issue where the backlight could be turned on even when it was disabled.
- Fixed an issue where the descriptions for swim workout steps that use equipment were not displayed correctly.
- Fixed an issue where the Virtual Partner ahead or behind data field could fail to update.
- Fixed an issue where the personal record trophy could fail to show if applicable for a race.
- Fixed an issue where sport zones for heart rate could not be modified.
- Fixed various other minor issues.
Additionally, the Beta version 12.20 is a Release Candidate build. As such, the update should ship unchanged as a public build shortly, unless Garmin notices any critical issues during this public beta test. Moreover, your Forerunner 255 series smartwatch may not receive Beta version 12.20 immediately, even if you have already signed up for Garmin's Beta Program. Instead, Garmin's update network checks daily for a new build, while Garmin warns that it could take several hours for beta builds to download, transfer and install.