Apple launches 24-inch M1 iMac in a rainbow of color choices with 7-core or 8-core GPU availability and two Thunderbolt ports onboard
The 2021 Apple Spring Loaded event has been the launch pad for the first M1-powered iMac, which comes in a 24-inch form and a rainbow’s choice of colors: green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver. The redesigned iMac has a slimmer build (11.5 mm thickness) compared to its predecessors, with Apple claiming that the M1 model “reduces the volume of iMac by 50 percent” when compared to a 21.5-inch variant. The new Apple iMac also features a charging cable that attaches magnetically.
The display is one of the stars of the 24-inch M1 iMac. A 4.5K Retina display is present offering 500 nits brightness, 4480x2520 resolution, 218 ppi, and True Tone technology. With the addition of Apple Silicon, the 24-inch iMac can utilize a 7-core or 8-core GPU to display graphics, with Cupertino stating a 2x faster GPU performance in apps like Photoshop. That M1 processor also delivers “85 percent faster CPU performance” that takes the 2021 24-inch iMac far beyond older models.
Additional features include Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, a Magic Mouse in matching colors, and two Thunderbolt ports on the rear of the M1 iMac. A vigorously overhauled camera, mic, and speaker system leaves the redesigned iMac with a 1080p FaceTime HD camera, three-microphone array, and six-speaker sound solution for a vastly improved media experience for the user. Unsurprisingly, the macOS Big Sur Macintosh computer operating system is utilized in combination with the M1 Apple Silicon for the best performance possible with the 2021 iMac.
Apple advertises a couple of configurations for the redesigned iMac 24, which will be available for order from April 30 and should start shipping in the second half of May. The M1 iMac with 7-core GPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, and a choice of green, pink, blue, or silver color costs from US$1,299. The 8-core GPU variant, which is also additionally available in the yellow, orange, and purple colors, starts at US$1,499. Discounts are available in the US for education-related purchases.
CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple today introduced an all-new iMac featuring a much more compact and remarkably thin design, enabled by the M1 chip. The new iMac offers powerful performance in a design that’s just 11.5 millimeters thin, with a striking side profile that practically disappears. Available in an array of vibrant colors to match a user’s personal style and brighten any space, iMac features a 24-inch 4.5K Retina display with 11.3 million pixels, 500 nits of brightness, and over a billion colors, delivering a brilliant and vivid viewing experience.
The new iMac also includes a 1080p FaceTime HD camera, studio-quality mics, and a six-speaker sound system — the best camera and audio ever in a Mac. Also, Touch ID comes to iMac for the first time, making it easier than ever to securely log in, make purchases with Apple Pay, or switch user profiles with the touch of a finger. Combining the power and performance of M1 and macOS Big Sur, apps launch with blazing speed, everyday tasks feel incredibly fast and fluid, and demanding workloads like editing 4K video and working with huge images are faster than ever. The new iMac joins the incredible family of Mac models powered by M1, including MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini, marking another step forward in Apple’s transition to Apple silicon. iMac is the most personal, powerful, capable, and fun it has ever been, and customers can order it beginning Friday, April 30. iMac will be available in the second half of May.
“M1 is a gigantic leap forward for the Mac, and today we’re excited to introduce the all-new iMac, the first Mac designed around the breakthrough M1 chip,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “With its striking design in seven stunning colors, its immersive 4.5K Retina display, the best camera, mics, and speakers ever in a Mac, and Touch ID, combined with the amazing performance of M1 and the power of macOS Big Sur, the new iMac takes everything people love about iMac to an entirely new level.”
Pricing and Availability
- The new 24-inch iMac is available to order beginning Friday, April 30, on apple.com and in the Apple Store app. It will begin arriving to customers and be available in select Apple Store locations and through Apple Authorized Resellers beginning in the second half of May.
- iMac with 7-core GPU starts at $1,299 (US) and $1,249 (US) for education, and is available in green, pink, blue, and silver. It features an 8-core CPU, 8GB of unified memory, 256GB SSD, two Thunderbolt ports, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Mouse.
- iMac with 8-core GPU starts at $1,499 (US) and $1,399 (US) for education, and is available in green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver. It features an 8-core CPU, 8GB of unified memory, 256GB SSD, two Thunderbolt ports, two additional USB 3 ports, Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, Magic Mouse, and Ethernet.
- Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options, and accessories are available at apple.com/mac.
- Customers can experience the new iMac at select Apple Store locations and have their questions answered in person. Customers who visit stores are encouraged to check apple.com/retail for information on opening hours, services available, and the health and safety measures in place.
- Customers in the US get 3 percent Daily Cash back when they buy directly from Apple with Apple Card. And when they choose Apple Card Monthly Installments, they can pay over time, interest-free.
- Anyone can get shopping help from Apple Specialists, choose monthly financing options, trade in eligible devices, and get Apple Support and no-contact delivery or Apple Store pickup options.
- Every customer who buys iMac from Apple can enjoy a free Online Personal Session with an Apple Specialist, and receive guidance on how to make their iMac work the way they want.
- Customers in the US can trade in their eligible device for an Apple Gift Card or credit toward their purchase. If the device is not eligible for credit, Apple will recycle it for free.
- For a limited time, eligible customers who purchase a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free and three months of Apple Arcade for free.8