The Amazon Kindle Oasis e-reader is already official, coming as an addition to the Kindle Voyage, and not as its replacement. The specs and features of this new Kindle confirm the most recent rumors, although Amazon revealed that the one about the 20-month battery life was wrong.
While the Voyage had six LEDs for illumination and the cheaper Paperwhite had only four, the new Kindle Oasis features no less than ten such lights. The display is the same as that used by the Voyage, a 6-inch E-ink touchscreen with 1,448X1,072 pixels and 300 ppi. Kindle Oasis features the thinnest body ever used in a Kindle so far, also being the lightest one (less than 0.29 pounds). According to the official press release, "Kindle Oasis has a featherweight polymer frame that is plated with metal by structural electroplating."
In addition to the above, the new Kindle introduces a dual battery system that promises to offer "months of battery life," but without revealing any numbers. The charging cover included with the Oasis comes in black, merlot, or walnut. It is also worth mentioning that Kindle Oasis brings back the physical buttons for page turning, by including pressure-sensitive areas in the bezel to get the job done.
While the standard Kindle, as well as the Kindle Voyage and the Paperwhite are still up for sale, going up to $200 USD, the new one starts at $289.99 USD. Pre-orders are already up, and the devices should reach the market by April 27.
Introducing Kindle Oasis—Our Thinnest and Lightest Kindle Ever
Designed to feel weightless—incredibly thin with an ergonomic grip that shifts the center of gravity to the palm of your hand, creating the perfect balance so you can read comfortably for hours with one hand
30% thinner on average and over 20% lighter than any other Kindle
Dual-battery charging system provides the longest battery life of any Kindle—included removable leather charging cover lets you read for months without plugging in
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Eight years ago, Amazon introduced Kindle, making it possible for the first time to think of any book and start reading it in seconds. Since then, Amazon has introduced new Kindle e-readers that are smaller, lighter, and faster—all on a mission to make the device disappear so you can lose yourself in an author’s story. Today, Amazon took another step toward this mission: introducing Kindle Oasis—the eighth generation of Kindle—crafted from the ground up for readers, with an all-new, incredibly thin and light design, plus an included charging cover that delivers months of battery life. Kindle Oasis is available for pre-order today for $289.99 and will start shipping in the coming weeks. Meet Kindle Oasis at www.amazon.com/kindleoasis.
“To lean back and read for hours, you need a sanctuary from distraction,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. “We want Kindle to disappear, and Kindle Oasis is the next big step in that mission. It’s the most advanced Kindle we’ve ever built—thin and ultra-lightweight, it gets out of the way so you can lose yourself in the author’s world.”
All-New Design—The Thinnest and Lightest Kindle Ever
The new Kindle Oasis is unlike any Kindle you’ve ever held. With an incredibly thin display and an ergonomic grip, Kindle Oasis weighs just 4.6 ounces and is just 3.4 mm at its thinnest point—30% thinner on average and over 20% lighter than any other Kindle. To achieve this, Kindle Oasis has a featherweight polymer frame that is plated with metal by structural electroplating—this makes the device incredibly light while ensuring it has the strength and rigidity of metal so it is resilient enough to take anywhere you want to read.
Designed for Comfortable and Extended Reading
Kindle Oasis is designed for extended reading sessions—with an entirely reimagined shape, Kindle Oasis shifts the center of gravity to your palm, to rest in your hand like the spine of a book so that the device feels balanced for one-handed reading. Effortlessly turn the page with either the touch display or physical buttons. Oasis is comfortable to read on with either hand—a built-in accelerometer detects whether you are reading with your left or right hand, and automatically rotates the page and page turn buttons to match.
Dual-Battery Design Delivers Months of Battery Life—Our Longest Ever
Kindle Oasis introduces a new dual-battery system—as soon as you connect the cover to Kindle Oasis, the battery in the cover begins recharging Kindle Oasis automatically. The battery in the cover uses a custom cell architecture that optimizes power and energy while keeping an incredibly small and light form factor and delivering months of battery life. You can charge the device and cover simultaneously while both are snapped together and plugged in. Plus, a new hibernation mode minimizes power consumption when your Kindle is inactive.
The included charging cover is made of high-quality leather and is available in black, merlot, or walnut. The cover opens like a book and fits closely around the bezel, waking Kindle Oasis when opened and putting it to sleep when closed. Twelve magnets form a secure and solid attachment between the device and cover, while ensuring it is easy to detach when you choose to read without the cover.
Next Generation Paperwhite Display
Kindle Oasis features the latest generation high-resolution 300 ppi Paperwhite display for crisp, laser-quality text. A redesigned built-in front light features 60% more LEDs for our brightest Kindle display ever and leverages new cylindrical diffractive patterns to increase the consistency and range of screen brightness for improved reading in all types of lighting. The new Paperwhite display on Oasis is the first Kindle display designed using a ground-breaking 200 micron display backplane that is as thin as a single sheet of aluminum foil, but is robust enough for you to throw in your bag and take with you on-the-go, combined with a custom cover glass engineered from chemically-reinforced glass.
The Kindle Family: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, and Kindle Oasis
Kindle Oasis is the newest addition to the Kindle family. By design, Kindle e-readers are purpose-built for reading so you can lose yourself in a book. Unlike tablets and phones, dedicated e-readers don’t distract you with social media, emails, and text messages. They don’t beep at you or tire your eyes when you read for hours at a time. You can now choose from four different Kindle e-readers to find the one that is best for you:
- Kindle, our most affordable reader, with a touchscreen display and all the latest features customers love about Kindle, including Whispersync, Smart Lookup, and Goodreads integration, just $79.99.
- Kindle Paperwhite, the most popular and best-selling Kindle, features a high-resolution display and an adjustable front light, just $119.99.
- Kindle Voyage, with a high resolution, high contrast display, an adaptive front light and page turns with PagePress buttons, just $199.99.
- Kindle Oasis, the thinnest and lightest Kindle, with an all-new ergonomic design, page turn buttons, and an included leather charging cover which, when added, provides months of battery life through a unique dual-battery charging system, just $289.99.
All the Features Readers Love about Kindle
The new Kindle Oasis includes all of the features that have made the Kindle family the most popular e-readers in the world for eight years running:
- Reads like a book—Thanks to a built-in front light, read without eyestrain or glare, even in bright sunlight.
- Weeks of battery life—Battery life is measured in weeks, not hours.
- No set-up required—Kindle arrives pre-registered so you can start reading immediately.
- Whispersync—Saves and synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations across all of your devices and Kindle apps, so you can always pick up where you left off.
- Worry-free archive—Automatically backs up your Kindle books in the cloud, so you never need to worry about losing your books—re-download your books wirelessly anytime for free.
- Goodreads—Kindle is integrated with the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations, with over 50 million members, 1.3 billion books added, and 47 million book reviews.
- X-Ray—Explore the “Bones of the Book”—see all of the passages across a book that mention relevant ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places, or topics of interest.
- Word Wise—Available on many popular English language titles, Word Wise makes it easier to enjoy and quickly understand more challenging books. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading with fewer interruptions.
- Family Library—With Kindle and Kindle reading apps, you can access not only your own books, but also books from the Amazon account of a spouse or partner.
- Kindle FreeTime—Gives parents a simple, engaging way to encourage kids to spend more time reading. Hand-select books for your kids to read, and achievement badges are earned when they hit reading milestones.
- Time to Read—Tells you how much time it will take to finish a chapter or a book based on your personalized reading speed.
- Vocabulary Builder—Compiles words you look up in the dictionary into an easy-to-access list. Use these lists to quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see words in context.
- Share your favorite passages—Share book recommendations, highlighted sections, and meaningful quotes with friends via Facebook and Twitter.
- Smart Lookup—Integrates a full dictionary definition with other reference information via X-Ray and Wikipedia.
- Custom-Built Typesetting Engine—Word and character spacing, with hyphenation, justification, ligatures, and kerning lays out the pages just as the author intended.
World’s Best eBook Store
Kindle e-readers come with instant access to the Kindle Store, which includes:
- Massive selection—Millions of books, newspapers and magazines, including the latest best sellers, Kindle Singles, and more.
- Kindle exclusives—Over 1,000,000 books are exclusive to the Kindle Store.
- Lowest book prices—Over a million titles are $2.99 or less, over 2 million are $9.99 or less.
- Kindle Unlimited—Enjoy unlimited reading of over 1,000,000 books and unlimited listening to a selection of thousands of audiobooks for just $9.99 a month.
- Kindle First—Access new Kindle books a month in advance of their official release date. Customers can choose one of the featured books each month for $1.99, and Prime members can make their selection for free—yet another benefit of Prime membership.
The new Kindle Oasis is $289.99. It is available for pre-order around the world and will start shipping in the coming weeks. Order now at www.amazon.com/kindleoasis.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about.
- Xiaomi Mi EBook Reader Pro launches: Spec upgrade from the original Mi EBook Reader that holds up well against the Kindle Oasis News @ 12/15/2020
- Amazon announces all-new waterproof Kindle Paperwhite News @ 10/16/2018
- Amazon Kindle Lite for basic handsets and slow internet connections debuts in India News @ 03/28/2018
- "reMarkable" e-ink tablet with full stylus support available for pre-order News @ 11/30/2016
- Amazon Fire HD 8: more storage, more battery, same price News @ 09/09/2016
- A new Amazon Fire tablet shows up at FCC News @ 08/24/2016
- Kobo Aura ONE e-reader coming soon News @ 08/10/2016
- Amazon Kindle gets faster, thinner, lighter News @ 06/23/2016
- Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet now available with 64 GB of internal storage News @ 06/06/2016
- Entry level Kindle Fire gets 16 GB option and three new colors News @ 04/22/2016
- Amazon Kindle Oasis leaks online News @ 04/13/2016
- New Amazon Kindle might arrive next week News @ 04/05/2016
- Amazon launches Kindle Voyage e-reader News @ 09/18/2014
- Upgraded Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 appears in the AnTuTu database News @ 07/29/2014
- Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation gets software update News @ 07/25/2014
- Amazon reveals Kindle Unlimited News @ 07/21/2014
- Amazon announces a new Kindle Paperwhite News @ 09/03/2013