IFA 2016 | Samsung unveils Gear S3 Classic and Frontier smartwatches
Samsung has just unveiled the new Gear smartwatch just in time for IFA 2016. Dubbed Gear S3, this smart wearable comes in two variants - Classic and Frontier. The main difference between the two is that Frontier has LTE connectivity, while the Classic flavor only offers Bluetooth capabilities.
Both Gear S3 models support Samsung Pay and have been rated IP68 for their water resistance. Their main specs include the following:
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- 1.3-inch circular Super AMOLED display with 360X360 pixels and Corning Gorilla Glass SR protection
- 768 MB RAM and 4 GB internal storage
- LTE(only Frontier), Bluetooth 4.2, WiFi, NFC, A-GPS and GLONASS
- Tizen 2.3.2
- total weight of 57 grams for Classic, 62 grams for Frontier
- 380 mAh battery (wireless charging supported)
The two Samsung Gear S3 variants support standard 22 mm watch straps. In the US, the LTE-connected Frontier will be carried by T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon Wireless. Unfortunately, there is no launch date and pricing information to talk about at this time.
Although it will soon receive a successor, the Samsung Gear S2 will remain on the market as a smaller choice that is better suited to women.