Raspberry Pi: Turn the popular single-board computer into a smart home centre with IKEA TRÅDFRI and Home Assistant support
Published on Hackster.io by Michael Becker, the project utilises Home Assistant, an open-source home automation platform that runs on Python 3. While Home Assistant can control devices of multiple types, the project uses IKEA TRÅDFRI lights.
Utilising a TRÅDFRI remote control kit that includes an E27 bulb and wireless remote control, Becker summarises the project as follows:
- Pair the bulb with the remote controller
- Connect the TRÅDFRI Gateway with the internet
- Download the TRÅDFRI app for Android or Apple
- Connect the App with the TRÅDFRI Gateway by scanning the barcode
- Connect the remote control with the TRÅDFRI gateway
- Pair the bulb again with the remote controller
- Connect RPi with Home Assistant installed to the network
- Open the web interface of Home Assistant
- Connect the TRÅDFRI Gateway with Home Assistant
Becker used a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for the project, but other models are compatible. The TRÅDFRI kit could be used alongside other devices, examples of which can be found here. Please see the accompanying YouTube video below for a more thorough explanation about setting up and configuring the project.