Gamescom 2017 | HP announces the Omen X with an unlocked i7, GTX 1080, and mechanical keyboard
When HP changed their Omen gaming laptops to resemble rebrands of the Pavilion notebook, there was quite a negative response on enthusiast forums. Complaints centered around the creaky build quality and subpar screen performance on a gaming branded laptop. HP has been teasing a refresh of their Omen laptop series, giving them a look that differentiates them from the Pavillion, and stuffing them with the performance parts we expect in a branded gaming laptop.
HP has now officially announced the 17-inch version of the HP Omen X, and this time they've shown that Omen laptops should go back on your list for consideration. Key specifications include:
- Kaby Lake i7 CPUs including options with overclockable processors.
- RAM support up to DDR4-2800 with overclocking support.
- NVIDIA GPU options up to the GTX 1080 and factory overclocks.
- Support for PCIe SSD in RAID0 and 2.5-inch hard drives.
- Mechanical RGB keyboard with macro keys.
- FullHD 120 Hz G-Sync or 4K screen options.
- Three USB3.0, two Thunderbolt 3, HDMI 2.0a, Mini DisplayPort, RJ45 LAN, card reader.
The HP Omen X will be available later this year from US$2000 (or 2600 Euro) upwards, although it is unclear what the base specifications are.
HP Press Release