Notebookcheck
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 

Nvidia's LHR hashrate limitation for GeForce RTX GPUs can be easily bypassed by mining two crypto coins at the same time

Nvidia's hashrate limiter in LHR GeForce RTX GPUs is bypassed by the updated cryptomining client T-Rex (Image: Christian Wiediger)
Nvidia's hashrate limiter in LHR GeForce RTX GPUs is bypassed by the updated cryptomining client T-Rex (Image: Christian Wiediger)
The ingenious developers of cryptomining software are making considerable progress in bypassing Nvidia's imperfect hashrate limiter that is built into the latest LHR variants of its GeForce RTX graphics cards.
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 

It was apparently just a matter of time until clever crypto miners find a way to bypass the software algorithms of Nvidia's hashrate limitation that is built into the LHR models of current GeForce RTX graphics cards. It was already known that with a workaround, the NBMiner software was able to restore 50 to 70 percent of the mining performance of Nvidia RTX GPUs with the lite hash rate. The crypto miner software T-Rex now even goes a step further.

According to Tom's Hardware, the latest version of T-Rex not only allows miners to utilize up to 70 percent of the original hashrate of RTX GPUs, but also use the remaining 30 percent of performance to mine another cryptocurrency. For example, it is possible to use aforementioned 70 percent of the original hashrate to mine coins like Cornflux (CFX), Ergo (ERG) or Ravencoin (RVN), and then use the remaining 30 percent to mine the well-known cryptocurrency Ethereum (ETH).

Since cryptocurrencies have specific VRAM requirements, not every Nvidia GeForce RTX graphics card works well with the new dual mining feature in T-Rex. The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (from US$849 on Amazon) and GeForce RTX 3070 with their 8GB of GDDR6 memory are for example less viable for mining two different tokens at the same time. However, this may still be considered bad news for most gamers because cryptominers will probably continue to snatch all available Nvidia RTX GPUs, even the LHR variants.

Read all 2 comments / answer
static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 
Enrico Frahn
Editor of the original article: Enrico Frahn - Tech Writer - 434 articles published on Notebookcheck since 2021
My fascination for technology goes back a long way to the Pentium II era. Modding, overclocking and treasuring computer hardware has since become an integral part of my life. As a student, I further developed a keen interest in mobile technologies that can make the stressful college life so much easier. After I fell in love with the creation of digital content while working in a marketing position, I now scour the web to bring you the most exciting topics in the world of tech. Outside the office, I’m particularly passionate about motorsports and mountain biking.
contact me via: LinkedIn
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2021 10 > Nvidia's LHR hashrate limitation for GeForce RTX GPUs can be easily bypassed by mining two crypto coins at the same time
Enrico Frahn, 2021-10- 7 (Update: 2021-10- 7)