Notebookcheck

Gartner report: Android dominates the smartphone market

According to the report, the sales growth in the second quarter of 2015 was the slowest since 2013.

Gartner has just released its newest worldwide smartphone sales data. According to the report, the sales growth in thh second quarter of 2015 was the slowest since 2013. Worldwide sales of smartphones to end users in Q2 totaled 330 million units, an increase of 13.5 percent over the same period in 2014.

Unsurprisingly Android and iOS continue to dominate the smartphone market, with Android installed on 82.2% of all handsets sold in from April through June this year, and iOS following far behind with 14.6%. Combined, Android- and iOS-based devices constitute 96.8% of all smartphones sold in Q2. Microsoft’s Windows Phone is third with its 2.5% share. BlackBerry closes the list with 0.3%.

Compared to the same period last year, Android’s market share dropped 1.5% (from 83.8%), iOS was the only platform that improved its share (up 2.4%, from 12.2% last year). Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS dropped by 0.3% and 0.4%, respectively (although for BlackBerry it translates to more than halving its share).

In terms of particular vendors, Samsung has decreased its lead over Apple. The former held 21.9% of the market, while the latter, 14.6%. In Q2 2014 the figures were: 26.2% and 12.2%, respectively.

Source(s)

static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2015 08 > Gartner report: Android dominates the smartphone market
Arkadiusz Piasek, 2015-08-20 (Update: 2015-08-20)