Eurocom Sky X9E2: Massive gaming notebook with desktop components
Mobile Gaming needs powerful hardware. That's widely known but since desktop components have become more and more efficient, manufacturers dare putting even more powerful graphic cards and processors into their laptops – components that were initially destined to go into a desktop PC.
Eurocom has presented such a new high-end laptop with desktop components: The Sky X9E2 offers a 4K screen with 17.3 inch and 120 Hz when you choose the best configuration available. The necessary power comes from Skylake desktop processors and if you want you can also get SLI with two GeForce GTX 1080 each accessing 8GB DDR5X. That is two times one of Nvidias current top video cards in one notebook.
Add up to 96 GByte of RAM and up to 6 TByte of mass storage. Choose from Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10 as an operating system. The chassis is only made of plastic, but it is "just" 50 millimeters thick. Seems fine for a high-end desktop replacement but all in all the Sky X9E2 is a really bulky and heavy notebook wheighing up to 5,6 kilos isn't big fun to carry around. On the other hand it's still lighter and more handy to carry than a desktop and a monitor.
Two LAN ports, a finger print reader, two USB 3.1C ports, you can connect up to four monitors and you have a Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5 and a built-in 2.1 sound system.
Prices, however, will make even hardcore gamers feel dizzy: The Sky X9E2 starts at 2,200 Euros (~2,500 US Dollar). We were able to create a configuration that cost almost 9,000 Euros (~10,200 US Dollar). Eurocom's Sky X9E2 will be avaiable from 1st September.
Eurocom Sky X9E2
- 17.3-inch;FHD (1920x1080) or UltraHD (4K); 120Hz optional
- Chipset: Intel Z170 Express (Skylake)
- Processor: socketed desktop LGA1151 CPU, up to Intel i7-6700K
- Memory: up to 64GB; DDR4-2133, 2400 or 2666; 4 SODIMM sockets
- VGA Technology: NVIDIA Pascal GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5X and GTX 1070 8GB DDR5; single or Dual SLI; two MXM 3.0 slots; up to 190W per slot
- Display Technology: supports 4 external monitors via 2x DP 1.2, 1x HDMI 2.0 and 1x HDMI 2.0 or DP1.2 (via USB 3.1 type C port); Nvidia Surround View
- Storage: up to 6TB with 4 drives; 2x HDD/SSD (SATA3) + 2x M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA3; RAID 0/1/5/10; supports NVMe SSDs
- Communications: two 1Gb LAN RJ-45 ports Killer E2400 + M.2 WLAN/Bluetooth; Killer DoubleShot X3
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows: 10, 8.1 and 7
- Card Reader: 6-in-1 MMC/RSMMC/SD/miniSD/SDHC/SDXC up to UHS-II
- Keyboard: Illuminated, backlit with customizable 7-colours
- Security: TPM 2.0, Fingerprint and Kensington Lock
- Audio System: Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5; external 7.1CH audio output; headphone out, microphone in, S/PDIF and Line-in port; two built-in FORSTER Speakers (2W)+ Subwoofer (2.5W)
- Ports: 2x USB 3.1 type C (HDMI 2.0/DP 1.2/Thunderbolt 3); 2x miniDP 1.2; 1x HDMI 2.0; 5x USB 3.0 (1x Powered USB AC/DC); S/PDIF; Headphone; Mic; Line-in; 2x RJ45 (LAN)
- Weight and dimensions: 5.5kg / 12.1lbs; WxDxH 428x308x47.2mm / 17.12x12.32x1.88-inch
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros