IFA 2017 | Alcatel debuts Idol 5 and Idol 5S entry-level and mid-range handsets
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! English native speakers welcome!
News Writer - Details here
Alcatel has added two new members to its Idol family of smartphones: the Idol 5 and Idol 5S. The pair feature decent specs at relatively affordable prices, and are currently available for purchase in Europe.
First up, the specs for the Idol 5:
- 5.2-inch 1080p display with Dragontail Glass
- 1.3 GHz Mediatek MT6753 quad-core processor
- Mali-T720 MP3 graphics
- 3 GB of RAM
- 16 GB of internal storage, expandable up to 256 GB via microSD
- 13-megapixel rear camera with f/2.0 aperture, phase detection autofocus, and dual-LED flash
- 5-megapixel selfie camera with f/2.4 aperture
- Non-removable 2,800 mAh battery
The new Idol 5S (not to be confused with the Snapdragon-toting US version) swaps the quad-core CPU for a much more capable Helio P20 octa-core processor, replaces the GPU with a faster Mali-T880, and doubles the amount of internal storage to 32 GB. It features an 8-megapixel selfie camera but lowers the rear camera's resolution by one megapixel compared to the Idol 5, down to 12 MP. Finally, the Idol 5S's battery gets a tiny bump in capacity to 2,850 mAh.
Both the Idol 5 and 5S run Android Nougat 7.1. The Idol 5 is available in Metal Silver and Metal Black for €239.99 (US$285). The Idol 5S comes in only one color, Dark Gray, and costs significantly more at €399.99 (US$474).
No word on when or if these two phones are heading stateside.