Acer announces affordable TravelMate P4 series
The new Acer TravelMate P4 14-inch and 15.6-inch models carry a design philosophy not unlike the current TravelMate P6 series. Unfortunately, these new models will not be utilizing Intel's latest Kaby Lake processors and are instead shipping with Skylake options possibly due to the lack of vPro in the current selection of Kaby Lake units.
Core specifications include:
- 14-inch or 15.6-inch display at HD (1366 x 768) or FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) touchscreen
- ComfyView anti-glare technology to reduce eye fatigue
- Intel 6th generation i5/i7 CPU options w/ vPro
- Optional GeForce 940MX graphics
- Up to 8 GB DDR4 RAM
- Up to 256 GB SSD
- SD reader, HDMI, USB Type-C Gen. 2, 4x USB Type-A, Smart Card reader, VGA
- 2x2 MIMO 802.11ac
- 180-degree hinges
- LED backlit keyboard w/ 1.6 mm of key travel
- Up to 8 hours of battery life
- 0.8-inches thick
Being business notebooks, both sizes will ship with additional security features including TPM 2.0, Acer ProShield Manager, fingerprint sensor, and support for Windows Hello. Additionally, the USB Type-C port will be able to support the optional powered Acer USB Type-C Dock for additional connectivity features instead of relying on a proprietary docking station. The port does not, however, appear to support Thunderbolt 3. Acer is also claiming that the TravelMate P4 series has passed "rigorous quality and reliability tests" without explicitly mentioning MIL-STD standards in its press release.
Both the 14-inch and 15.6-inch TravelMate P4 notebooks are now available at a starting price of $649 USD each.