macOS Sierra now available for download
After some time spent in various testing stages, the latest major release of Apple's desktop operating system is finally reaching the market. Known as macOS Sierra, it is now available as a free update from the Mac App Store.
Being a major update, macOS Sierra delivers more than just minor tweaks and fixes. These are its highlights:
- Siri on Mac - send messages and email, find documents, change system preferences, search for files or online information, and more
- Tabs across Mac apps with multi-window support, including Maps, Mail, Keynote, as well as third-party apps
- Memories feature in Photos - automatically creates curated collections
- An Apple Watch can be used to unlock a Mac
- Universal Clipboard (a Mac computer can share the clipboard with an iPhone)
- Optimized storage
- Picture in Picture for videos from Safari or iTunes, inside a realizable and movable window
- Apple Music in iTunes
While some features might not be available depending on region or language, macOS Sierra works with all Macs introduced since late 2009. As mentioned earlier, it is available as a free update that can be obtained from the Mac App Store.