Panasonic announces Toughpad FZ-R1 mobile POS tablet
While Panasonic's latest Toughpad device is not aimed at the consumer market, this Windows 8.1-powered tablet is surely something worth being mentioned. According to the official press release, the Toughpad FZ-R1 is "the industry's first 7-inch all-in-one mobile POS tablet running Windows 8.1 for retail environments and [able] to meet the changing omni-channel customer expectations while providing secure transaction capabilities."
The device has been unveiled yesterday at the 104th annual National Retail Federation (NRF) Big Show and packs the following highlights:
- Processor: 1.58 GHz Intel Celeron N2807
- Memory/Storage: 2 GB or 4 GB RAM; 64 GB internal storage and microSD support up to 64 GB
- Display: 7-inch touchscreen with 1,280X800 pixels
- Camera: 5 MP back with integrated 2D barcode scanner option, but no front camera
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0, optional 4G LTE and dock connector
- Operating system: Windows 8.1
Panasonic Toughpad FZ-R1 accepts MSR, chip/PIN, and NFC electronic payments and can work up to 8 hours on a single charge. This autonomy can be extended thanks to optional hot swap and 16-hour life battery. The base configuration has a price of $1,799 USD and will hit the market in late spring 2015.