New OxygenOS Open Beta builds now available
Although OnePlus 5's launch is close and OnePlus recently stopped manufacturing the OnePlus 3T, the older "flagship killers" continue to get updated on a regular basis. Although this is not about a new final software build, it is still good to hear that OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T owners can take a new firmware build for a spin.
The new updates are labeled Open Beta 17 (for OnePlus 3) and Open Beta 8 (for OnePlus 3T). According to the official OnePlus Forums, this new software update comes with the security patch dated May 1, 2017, as well as the following:
- Ambient display 2.0
- English, Chinese, and Japanese-only new OnePlus Font
- lift up display feature
- sharing functionality for Shot on OnePlus
- multiple UI improvements
- third party app launching speed improvement
- optimized management of foreground and background processes
- refined contact import from SIM with dual number and email address support
- automatically add country codes when making calls during roaming
- setup wizard adjustments to match Android 7.1's visuals
Those eager to try out the Open Beta firmware on their OnePlus 3/3T should know that once their handsets run the Open Beta OxygenOS, the new such builds arrive as OTA updates. However, to get back to the official stable OTAs, a full software reinstall must be performed.